Proportioning valve questions

-

michiganpat

Reaction score
I have a used weatherhead proportioning valve from the donor car that my spindles and caliper brackets came from. I was looking it over as to whether or not I could use/rebuild it (I found a place with kits with new seals for $15), and the proportioning piston is in pretty tough shape (see pics). so far I've come up empty on finding a replacement piston, so I'm looking at buying a new valve. Does anyone know if there is any significant differences between the valves different vendors sell? Looking at Summit Racing, Inline Tube, Dr. Diff, and various sellers on ebay, I see them ranging from $45-150+ for what appears to be the same part. Ralistically are these all coming out of the same factory in China and everyone is just reselling it, or is there an actual quality difference between the $45 ebay offering, the $68 inline tube one, $75 summit racing one, the $85 dr. diff one, and the $163 Right Stuff part?

1710269947866.jpeg

1710269902494.jpeg

since I'm using factory drums and discs, was preferring to used a factory style part than trying to plumb in and tweak an adjustable proportioning valve...

Use a disc drum/master a drum brake splitter and that adjustable rear valve with a loop so you can use your original line. You want about 70% to the front so dial the rear down. Your car may vary!!!

since I'm using factory drums and discs, was preferring to used a factory style part than trying to plumb in and tweak an adjustable proportioning valve...
The new china valves are notorious for leaking. The plumbing and tweaking you mention is as easy as Apple pie, and you get a new made in USA part for $50.

There are 2 different valves . Weather Head found on most 73 and newer A-bodies also B-and E bodies with single piston brakes. Then there is the Kelsey Hayes style used with 4 piston caliper 70-72 brakes. 69 and earlier have a separate valve for 4 piston Disc brakes.

Mopar Parts | Muscle Car Research LLC

There are 2 different valves . Weather Head found on most 73 and newer A-bodies also B-and E bodies with single piston brakes. Then there is the Kelsey Hayes style used with 4 piston caliper 70-72 brakes. 69 and earlier have a separate valve for 4 piston Disc brakes.

Mopar Parts | Muscle Car Research LLC
as far as the new replacements, all I've ever seen are the weatherhead style (which mine is in the original post). the site you posted is where I would going to buy a seal kit from until I found how badly the valve in the original post was pitted.

-
Back