Prothane Strut Rod Bushings

-

68coupe

Reaction score
Anybody ever use the 4-1202-BL strut rod bushings from Prothane? My old bushings, that I believe to be Moog, are 3/4" thick. With the washer, 1" thick. The prothane bushing without a washer is 1-1/16" thick. The metal sleeve is 1-13/16". Are you supposed to use them without the washers?
I called Prothane tech support and all the guy could tell me is that they sold 40 sets since October with no reported problems. He didn't know whether or not to use the washers. He didn't know why the bushings are thicker.

The polyurethane bushings don't work with the earlier strut rods.

The '73-76 strut rod bushings are thicker than the '72 and earlier bushings, even comparing the OE rubber bushings. The poly strut rod bushings are based off of the later '73+ bushings, so they're too thick for the '72 and earlier strut rods.

To use the poly bushings on the '72 down cars you need to either shave down the bushings or use the later 73+ strut rods, which were slightly longer than the earlier ones. You still need to use the washers with the poly bushings.

That's one of the reasons that folks use adjustable strut rods.

Pictures:

Attachments

• DSCN3132.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN3134.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 186
"The polyurethane bushings don't work with the earlier strut rods. "

I believe you, but I don't understand why these are sold as "A-BODY 66-76". Written right on the box.

Just came across this thread at the bottom of this post. Now I'm even more confused. I just finished rebuilding a 73 Scamp with the newer style strut rods. I used a PST kit that the car owner had ordered. The kit had the one piece bushing so I called PST. They told me that the one piece was the new, improved design. LOL They also said I would have to send the bushings back before they would send the two piece set.
I ordered the two piece set from RockAuto. PST is a bunch of jerks!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=143687

"The polyurethane bushings don't work with the earlier strut rods. "

I believe you, but I don't understand why these are sold as "A-BODY 66-76". Written right on the box.

That's easy, it's wrong. And it has been for a long time. There's numerous threads on here about the poly strut rod bushings not being the correct size. It's a well known issue. Some manufacturer's versions are closer than others, but pretty much none of them are right. And keep in mind you're comparing old worn out bushings to brand new bushings, even the old ones were thicker than that when they were brand new.

Also, FYI, you have two different strut rods in your picture. 73-76 strut rods have course threads, the earlier ones have fine threads. The length of the threaded end is different too, on the 73-76 strut rods its ~3.4" from the end to the shoulder, on the earlier ones it's 3".

All of this is why I don't even bother with the stock strut rods on any of my cars. All of them get adjustable strut rods. The re-pop strut rod bushings aren't the same as the originals (even the rubber Moog versions), although the ones for the 73-76 strut rods are closer. But even then, the original strut rods were really just a "one size fits most" item. As long as they're sort of close to the right length the alignment can be made "close enough" for the factory tolerances on the factory alignment specs. But that doesn't mean that the strut rods are actually allowing the lower control arms to move freely and without any binding, it just means it was close enough for the factory.

And of course when you actually set the alignment specs to what they need to be for radial tires (which is totally different than the factory alignment specs!!!) the strut rod length can cause problems again with getting the right amount of caster. The adjustable strut rods can be set to YOUR car, so your suspension moves freely through its entire range. Sure, they're more expensive, but they work a heck of a lot better and are easy to set.

I was aware that these are different rods, the other old style is still on the car. I may just use the newer rods and fit things up to see how everything goes.
Thank you for the response.

-
Back