Puff of smoke on startup

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I now have a 68 318 and a 68 225 that both let off a good sized cloud of smoke every startup.

What is likely the cause.

Both are absolutley original, I would bet the 318 has never been apart. Runs great otherwise and it won't smoke other than just the startup.

My first guess would be umbrella seals (valve seals). They get brittle, and end up in small pieces in your oil pick up screen

I'm guessing the heads have to come off to replace those.....
nope. I've done it without removing the heads.
  • pull valve cover
  • bring piston to TDC
  • remove rocker arm assembly (push rods can stay)
  • hold the valve up with either air through the spark plug hole, or #9 wire bent so it holds the valve up. With the piston up, even if you drop the valve you'll still be able to grab the stem and pull it right back up. I like the wire myself.
  • remove valve spring with over head valve spring compressor.
  • install new valve seal,
  • install valve spring/retainer/keepers
  • IF you want the pieces out of the oil pump screen, then obviously you'll remove the oil pan.

Last edited:
Para cord down spark plug hole, run piston up to hold valve. Heard that works very well.

The engine i dropped in the dart is doing the same thing. Oily puff out the driver’s side. So i have to do the valve seals too. Gives me the oppurtunity to stick the M/T valve covers on at the same time.

See the piece of umbrella seal, they get hard and brittle and the pieces end p in the oil pan.

upload_2020-6-2_20-54-50.jpeg

Spring compressor
upload_2020-6-2_20-55-15.jpeg

-
Back