Pull engine and trans together?

-

Walker434

Reaction score
I had to remove my timing cover (with engine in car) recently for a separate issue. I got it back together and now have a pretty bad oil leak between the timing cover and oil pan.

2nd issue. My transmission is bad. I have purchased a built street strip 904 to replace my blown 904.

The question: would you all just go ahead and pull the engine and trans together so I can address my oil leak with the engine out of the car, swap transmissions then put them back in together?

Or, would you leave the engine in the car and do the jobs separately. I've never pulled the engine/trans together so just looking for some thought and feedback. Thanks in advance.

I had to remove my timing cover (with engine in car) recently for a separate issue. I got it back together and now have a pretty bad oil leak between the timing cover and oil pan.

2nd issue. My transmission is bad. I have purchased a built street strip 904 to replace my blown 904.

The question: would you all just go ahead and pull the engine and trans together so I can address my oil leak with the engine out of the car, swap transmissions then put them back in together?

Or, would you leave the engine in the car and do the jobs separately. I've never pulled the engine/trans together so just looking for some thought and feedback. Thanks in advance.

I have been considering same thing for my 65 Signet- going to be pulling 273 to install 340- trans was treated to a stock rebuild 10 years ago( worked fine though not driven much)- probably should have it gone over while have engine out- easier to put trans/engine together out of car- but will they go in together(904 auto)?

I've done it both ways. If it is JUST a timing cover gasket that's leaking, I would probably do that in the car and pull the tranny separate. If more work needs to be done to the engine, I would pull them together.

I've done it both ways. If it is JUST a timing cover gasket that's leaking, I would probably do that in the car and pull the tranny separate. If more work needs to be done to the engine, I would pull them together.

This Walker434... If you need a dedicated transmission jack, Harbor Freight, does an adjustable one ( up and down travel about 15 inches, adjustable riggers for different trans pans, a safety belt already there... ) Runs about 50-75 bucks. I consider it ,essential.

The oil leak is coming from where the timing cover meets the oil pan. I think my timing cover has stripped thread where the oil pan bolt comes through. I may be better off replacing the timing cover with engine in the car and doing then trans swap seperately.

Abodybomber, I have a transmission jack I can borrow from a friend so that shouldn't be an issue.

If I remember rightly Fel-pro has just the part of the gasket that goes between the pan and the timing cover. I'd pull it and find out if it's stripped, like you said. If it's not, get the Permatex oil resistant gasket maker and snot it.

Then pull the trans separately. I don't think I'd go through pull the whole rig just for a timing chain cover/gasket section.

-
Back