Pulley Cluster F

-

Chebe

Reaction score
This is likely going to be a head scratcher mixed with a why but here goes and I appreciate the help beforehand. I got a 69 barracuda with a '74 or '76 318 block (sorry I can't get under the car to check the stamp at the moment and can not remember nor find the picture). With that said she has an original rebuilt '69 and earlier 4 core radiator thus using the '69 and earlier cast iron water pump since the lower radiator hose outputs toward the driver side '69 and earlier vs passenger side on '70 + aluminum water pump. I've added a Vintage Air A/C system to the car utilizing the '70 + compressor and alternator bracket and also power steering (Firm Feel Stage 3). I did have to use more spacers than what Vintage Air called for to ensure the bracket mounted straight on the block and allowed the alternator and compressor to line up properly with the crank. When I originally installed the A/C it called for a PS001 big block '70 + power steering pump brackets which is on the car now with a '69 model Saginaw Pump. However, I could never get rid of the belt squeal since it was being routed as crank, water pump and power steering pullies - "accessory" (no it was not coming from crank, A/C and alternator pullies - "drive" as I isolated belts for test purposes). I wound up tightening the belt too much chasing the squeal for the "accessory" belt and shattered the power steering pulley on the interstate. So I pulled everything off to repair the damage and clean the mess it made. Vintage Air has since changed the mounting location of the power steering pump using the PS004 small block '70 + brackets to locate the pump on the bottom of the block on the driver side. She has a 3 groove crank pulley and uses the A/C water pump pulley (smaller) which lines up perfectly for "drive" belt (now crank - middle groove, water pump, A/C compressor and alternator). The "accessory" belt appears to be lining up perfectly with the crank utilizing the PS001 big block power steering pump brackets but the belt is extremely close to the power steering pulley and likely will rub going with the smallest belt possible to not raise the pump much to set tension on the belt. So I got my hands on a set of the PS004 '70+ small block power steering brackets but since I've got the '69 and earlier water pump it looks like one bolt on the plate that attaches to the water pump is not going to line up with any bolt holes in the water pump (likely due to lower hose orientation). So what do I do? Look to convert to '70 + radiator and water pump? Modify the bracket that attaches to the water pump so it is only bolted in from the pivot point on the bracket for belt tension (I think there is enough support to hold it but I'm not fond of removing a mounting point even though it would still utilize the bracket that attaches straight to the bottom of the block from the firewall side of the pump)? Give the PS001 big block power steering pump bracket a go and see how it does? Is there another water pump pulley I'm unaware of that does not protrude towards the radiator as much that would not affect the fan blade capacity/operation? Any other suggestions? I have pictures if necessary. I know this is mix and match setup but this was unforeseen while restoring the car especially being able to rebuild the original radiator. I also have the 2 groove crank pulley and three steering pullies for the Saginaw Pump (one appears to position the groove closer to the pump vs the other both with 3 spokes each as well as the solid pulley) if needed that are in good shape. Thanks for reading thru this as I was trying to ensure all the information was there.

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

I have a set of a/c pullies and a set of non but they are for the aluminum pump.

-
Back