Pulley question

-
Use the pulleys from the same engine that you pull the timing chain cover, water pump, and alternator/PS brackets from. (You do know all that needs to be changed, right?)
In other words, if you use pre-'70 parts (iron water pump- driver's side inlet- and accessory drives), use pre-'70 pulleys. If you use '70 and later parts (aluminum water pump- pass. side inlet- and accessory drives) use the '70 and later pulleys. Easy-peasy.
Make sure your 5.9 has the 2 piece harmonic balancer and pulley- later magnums used a one-piece balancer and pulley.
If you use the early year stuff, you'll have to file one hole (the offset one) on the crank pulley to make it fit the Magnum balancer. 5 minute job.

if your yard is a pick and pull, and has some trucks, look for older trucks(86-90) w/o a/c. usually a 3 groove pulley. 318 eng. old state/county trucks.

^^^ Yes to this- find a donor equipped the same as your vehicle. Some of these later ones will also be equipped with an air pump for emissions and will have an extra crank groove for that. They can still be used, you will just have an unused groove on your crank pulley if that doesn't bother you. Just make sure you get all the matching accessory brackets with the pulleys.

Use the pulleys from the same engine that you pull the timing chain cover, water pump, and alternator/PS brackets from. (You do know all that needs to be changed, right?)
In other words, if you use pre-'70 parts (iron water pump- driver's side inlet- and accessory drives), use pre-'70 pulleys. If you use '70 and later parts (aluminum water pump- pass. side inlet- and accessory drives) use the '70 and later pulleys. Easy-peasy.
Make sure your 5.9 has the 2 piece harmonic balancer and pulley- later magnums used a one-piece balancer and pulley.
If you use the early year stuff, you'll have to file one hole (the offset one) on the crank pulley to make it fit the Magnum balancer. 5 minute job.
Yeah I know whats all involved in the swap. i actually started on the swap in 2021 but had some personal problems come up that it ended up getting put on the back burner till now. I have already aquired mostly everything i need. Its mainly small parts now. the timing cover i bought came off a dodge truck with a 360. My 5,9 balancer is the 2 piece one. When i was buying parts when i first started this swap I i had bought an new ALT bracket for a small block a body. I still need a p/s bracket yet as well.

I do have an LA 318 that came with the car when i bought it. That still has the crank pulley would i be able to use that and gather the rest from the JY. or would it be best to just get them all from the same vehicle

You could use that. If it was me, I would opt to find 1 in the jy that has not been disturbed to much. It could always have been apart but if the belts ate still on it, you could make sure the alignment is still good.

I do have an LA 318 that came with the car when i bought it. That still has the crank pulley would i be able to use that and gather the rest from the JY. or would it be best to just get them all from the same vehicle
If you have all the pulleys, brackets, accessories, and timing cover from your 318, I would do that. Just need two piece balancer from 5.9 Magnum. Good luck!

Serpentine Magnums do use a water pump that is reverse of LA's. Keep it all the same.

If you find a PS pump and bracket in the JY, get the bolts that go thru the timing cover and go into the block. I think it's the 2nd bolt from the bottom that is critical as far as length goes. If the bolt is too long, it will crack the #1 cylinder! That usually only occurs when you remove PS and then sock that bolt that goes thru the PS bracket back in to just hold the cover. You can never have too many original engine bolts anyway....lol.

-
Back