Pulleys do not line up. any input is appreciated

-

Brian c

Reaction score
I have CFV pulleys, "hbf 318c balancer" a edelbrock water pump, scat crank. Something with this setup isnt happy! the belt grooves are way off. Anyone ever run into this issue with a similar setup? Im not sure why things are not lining up.

Thanks!

ya it is . can you see how close it is to the timing marks? i was thinking the same thing. im not sure what to think.

I can see that it's close to the timing marks, but some reason it doesn't look quite right. I seem to recall my 318 balancer being...thinner for some reason.

Had same problem with my thicker than stock fluid damper. Had to run pre 69 crank pulley for cast iron water pump and then belts lined up perfect. They are not lining up because that balancer is thicker than normal

shoot. i was hoping that wasnt the case? does anyone know where i can get a stock width balancer? or should i just see if a pre 69 pulley would do the trick

pre 69 that measures 1.5" from mounting surface to center of 1st groove will do the trick (unfortunately not as pretty) . I just ran into same issue 2 weeks ago on my small block stroker motor. I bet your pulley measures 2" from mounting surface to 1st groove. That .5" less should be all you need. I can shoot you a picture tomorrow

I would chk Mancini, Jegs, Summit they should have "stock" sized balancers. Make sure you chk the dimensions before you buy.
Oh isnt the timing cover a 70 and up though?? If you get a 69 and down balancer, you would have to retape(timing) the balancer. No biggie though.

Another thing, make sure your alt pulley lines up now. A mismatch of pulleys is a PAIN IN THE ARSE!!

I would chk Mancini, Jegs, Summit they should have "stock" sized balancers. Make sure you chk the dimensions before you buy.
Oh isnt the timing cover a 70 and up though?? If you get a 69 and down balancer, you would have to retape(timing) the balancer. No biggie though.

Another thing, make sure your alt pulley lines up now. A mismatch of pulleys is a PAIN IN THE ARSE!!

I also considered a new balancer, but I had already paid good $ for my fluid damper and a OEM pre 70 crank pulley was much cheaper. Got one from a buddy for $20. But that is also an option

I would also check your water pump the pre 70 pumps have the outlet on the drivers side where yours appears to be on the passenger side which means you may need the 70 up pulley .

pulley i have now does measure 2'' like swinger340 said. i dont wat to really change the balancer if i dont have to. the outlet of the pump is the passenger side

I also considered a new balancer, but I had already paid good $ for my fluid damper and a OEM pre 70 crank pulley was much cheaper. Got one from a buddy for $20. But that is also an option

Makes sense, whichever way the OP decides to go, make sure the alt pulley lines up with the top fan/wp pulley

I would also check your water pump the pre 70 pumps have the outlet on the drivers side where yours appears to be on the passenger side which means you may need the 70 up pulley .

Yep....pulleys are fun fun fun!

I was pulling my hair out 3 weeks ago with same exact problem. Not sure if pulley listed above would work or not. An OEM pulley is not as pretty, but will in fact work. They are 1/2" shorter to line up with the shorter cast iron water pump on the pre 70 engines.

Makes sense, whichever way the OP decides to go, make sure the alt pulley lines up with the top fan/wp pulley

Yep....pulleys are fun fun fun!

Alt should be here tomorrow so ill make sure to look. pulleys suck! lol

So,,,,a half inch spacer behind the top pulley and longer bolts won't fix it for ya, or are we waiting till the alternator gets here to find out what it thinks? :D

I too went through this when I got my stroker and tried to use my 318 pulley`s , no go on the water pump , then I bought the CVF bracket kits for my alt and PS but of course the stock 70 up water pump pulley is a hair too big and rubs the PS belt , I was just getting ready to call CVF to compare the diameter of their water pump pulley and the angle of the cone which is where it rubs , I`ve been running a home beveled PS belt for over a year eh Steve lol !

To me it looks like your balancer is too thick as well. Here is a snapshot of my setup. I am also running the same pullies as you with no issues. I am running the thinner stock style balancer though. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 201
So,,,,a half inch spacer behind the top pulley and longer bolts won't fix it for ya, or are we waiting till the alternator gets here to find out what it thinks? :D

Ya it will have the info for me lol. if i use a spacer and move that out then ill have to also move the ALT. doesnt matter which way i go something needs to be changed i guess. Would like to try and keep everything as snug as possible for electric fan room.

To me it looks like your balancer is too thick as well. Here is a snapshot of my setup. I am also running the same pullies as you with no issues. I am running the thinner stock style balancer though. Hope this helps.

Thanks! nice setup by the way!

I was pulling my hair out 3 weeks ago with same exact problem. Not sure if pulley listed above would work or not. An OEM pulley is not as pretty, but will in fact work. They are 1/2" shorter to line up with the shorter cast iron water pump on the pre 70 engines.

I emailed them to asking for the measurements. If its not the half inch shorter im going to try and find a OEM style and see if that works.

-
Back