Pulling /6

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this weekend i plan to pull my /6 to replace my Flex Plate. Never pulled a 6 before, any pointers on where to attach the chains?

Unless you are really wanting to pull the engine for another reason, it's much easier to pull the transmission to get at the drive plate. Just a thought.

There are 2 tapped holes on the manifold side of the rocker cover rail that have nothing attached to them. That is where you hook your chain to have a decent balance. That's why the holes are there. I agree with 74 Sport that it's a lot easier to drop the transmission if circumstances permit. Hope this helps.

Well i need to replace the engine mount too, seems easier to pull the whole assy rather than doing on your back under the car.

Is it easier to move the trans back, and wiggle it forward again? I cant remember if i can remove the trans mount or not.

There is one bolt through the transmission cross-member mount. Pull it, a handful of bolts around the bell housing, and the four drive plate bolts, then you can slide the transmission straight back.

Also, make a metal bracket that bolts to the bell housing and bends inward to keep pressure on the torque convertor to prevent it from slipping out. You'll need a transmission jack or a floor jack and someone's help to balance the transmission when you pull it backwards.

You can jack the engine up a few inches to gain room to replace the motor mounts, without pulling the engine completely.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry, maybe i will just do it like that. I have all the other stuff. For some reason i was thinking the mount wasnt removable.

haha yah, it sounds like a slippery slope.... if i was pulling it id clean everything, then probably decide to repaint the engine bay rather than clean.. and before you know it, my weekend job would turn into a few months.. i can see it allll noooww....

If it was a matter of everything else being pulled loose and disconnected (fuel line, wiring, exhaust, radiator, etc.) you might convince me to pull the engine. But, if it's just about replacing the motor mounts and drive plate, I'm inclined to do it in-place.

Jerry

I've done it both ways, and beleive me, unless you want to spend a ton o cash and time, do it in place. You will, as stated previously, end up replacing a lot more when you take the motor out........it's almost like a disease!:snakeman:

Make sure you aren't drinking anything when you make your decision. Much like a relationship with a woman, the more you drink, the less money you will end up with.:violent1:

-
Back