Pulling a car trailer with vintage Winnebago

-

cpearce

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am currently dealing on a 79 Winnebago Brave motorhome in excellent (unbelievable actually) condition from the second owner. The RV is built on a Dodge chassis, has 40,000 miles, a 440, and is 29 feet long. I contacted Winnebago, who told me the hitch rating is 200lbs with a 2000lbs towing capacity.

I was hoping to pull my 3000lb Duster on my 1650lb open car hauler trailer, clearly not in line with Winnebago's rating. I joined a Winnebago forum the other day in the hope to get information from users who may have modified their RV to pull trailers, unfortunately the page isnt active like this one, I've received no responses.

Can any of you tell what the limiting factor might be? Is it brakes, frame design, hitch design? Can modifications be made to allow these types of weights? Any first hand experience with this would be most helpful, and appreciated.

Seems like it should pull more.
I can tell you this. The receivers will not hold much weight ! I Have a hitch mount dirtbike carrier that actually bent the receiver on my 1979 Fireball C-Class. Good thing my buddy noticed it or I would dragged it home with the tires grinding away on the pavement !
3175B615-97C4-45F3-80AD-843313569AFB.jpeg

Reinforce the hitch and install a trailer brake. That should cover it .

Then stroke the motor to 500+ , add efi , headers and a 5 sp OD !

-
Back