Pulsating Brake Problem-Looking for Help

-

A340

Reaction score
Subject: 70 Duster, 4 piston Kelsey Hayes caliper up front, and 10" drum brakes in rear, all original, no power.

Before restoration of the suspension started everything was fine. Calipers were recently rebuilt. New Master cylinder installed along with new lines & hoses.

1st problem was a the 5.5 stock rally wheel was replaced by a 7 inch rally wheel. Manages to barely scrape ball joint. Installed a 5/16 wheel spacer on both front wheels, now have clearance.

2nd problem was the fact a I had a senior moment and installed one of the disc pads backwards, metal against the rotor. Of course as soon as I drove the car hit the brakes, heard the squeal, I knew what had happend. Took the hub to the local parts store and had it turned down only on the side that was scarred.

The pad didn't look that bad so I just turned it over and put everything back together. Now I have a terrible pulsating brake pedal that practically throws your foot off the pedal. I find it hard to believe that the rotor is warped as I would have thought it would have been noticable when the rotor was turned down.

The wheels are all torqued properly. Iv'e ordered a new set of disk pads, but not so sure this is the answer. Anyone here ever have this problem?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

A340

For future use:: Took the rotor back to have it checked for straightness by the same shop. Amazingly enough it was perfectly straight, but the other side that I didn't have checked was warped and had to be turned down also.

Apparently what little use it had transferred enough heat to the opposite side of the rotor and caused a little warpage. Put new pads on anyway.

You can't turn just one side, the bit pushed on the rotor. Never go back to that shop.

-
Back