pump drive shaft

-

Jazzy

Reaction score
When I try putting my oil pump drive shaft in it is very tight. I know they are normally pretty snug but this seems way to tight. I am not sure if I can get it all the way down with out having to do some serious hammering on it. Any suggestions on what to do?

The bushing should be reamed to size after installation. There is a clearance spec.

That shaft should slide in easy with assembly lube. Don't force it in at all! You should be able to spin it and have it pop up with a screwdriver off the cam gear after installed to set its location.

Reaming that bushing should be done before the engine is assembled.

You do know where those bronze shavings are going when you ream it? they are going into the motor If you know someone with a lathe you could polish the shaft to a smaller Diameter. Just a thought, Or ream it and wash it down with a good flow of diesel with the oil pan plug out

The actual tool doesn’t ream the bushing. It broaches the bushing to size after its pressed into the block.

I’ve never tried to broach one after its been installed. Maybe you can.

I have one I polished out that's too loose in my bushing. I can send it to you and you can try it.

-
Back