push button or floor shifter?

-

Realm412

Reaction score
I recently had some transmission trouble on my '63 push button valiant. Which may or may not be related to the push button controller (type writer) unit.

It was suggested to me by a mechanic to just take out the pushbutton and put in a floor shift version. Does anyone have any feeling about this as far as reliability? would a floor shift be a better option in the long run as far as dependability? Or does it really matter? I imagine parts would be easier to find for a floor shifter.

I've always enjoyed the semi-rare feature of the push button, but less hassle is less hassle. with or without that feature it's still a really cool car in my opinion. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks.
Greg

If the tranny problems were not shifter related, changing that will not solve your problems. Hard to give advice when the extent of the problems are unknown. I personally would stick with the shifter you have but I'm biased that way.

You can convert a pushbutton to the floor but it is very expensive , only one company makes the needed new cables , I can't think of their name just now....

well, I'm not 100% on what is going on with the trans in total. It seemed that the shifter controller allowed the gears to slip, so 2nd and 3rd gear were somehow stuck together, leaving me with 1st and reverse only. my transmission oil is grey/black from whatever got crunched up.

Basically I was thinking a different trans would be in order, and if that's the case, cut the floor and get a floor shifter version or try and find replacement parts for the push button. It's purely a reliability question at the moment. I'll figure out cost effectiveness later.

You sure bring some good info to the table damraider :cheers:
Thank you 8)

well, I'm not 100% on what is going on with the trans in total. It seemed that the shifter controller allowed the gears to slip, so 2nd and 3rd gear were somehow stuck together, leaving me with 1st and reverse only. my transmission oil is grey/black from whatever got crunched up.

Basically I was thinking a different trans would be in order, and if that's the case, cut the floor and get a floor shifter version or try and find replacement parts for the push button. It's purely a reliability question at the moment. I'll figure out cost effectiveness later.

A single 3/8 hole is all you need to do to a automatic trans to a floor shifter
No need to cut any of the floor for a new stile trans or an old one.

What parts do you think you need for the shifter? I have a couple here for parts if they will help if you want them.

You want to keep the pushbutton. I almost ditched mine 7 years ago when I was building my car and a mechanic talked me out of it saying the pushbuttons were one of the coolest things about these cars. I always get people telling me how cool it is that I kept it. Now about the trans problem. If the cable was out of adjustment you could have it between gears and it would slip. This adjustment is where the cable goes into the trans housing. You could also have this same problem with a aftermarket floor shifter if you don't adjust that cable correctly also. The lever in the trans has a detent and you have to be close enough so that it will fall in the detent. I've done the cable adjustment on the pushbuttons and it's not that difficult. The manual has a procedure you follow and that usually gets you in the ballpark. The cable has a threaded rod on the end of it that you rotate to adjust. I can send you the procedure if you need it. Jayson

metrobeach1.jpg

-
Back