pushbutton shifter 63 dart??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 65 manual but nothing with pushbutton info. here's where I'm at. after soaking the gear shift cable I finally got it to slide out of trans so it can be adjusted. I have pulled the pushbutton mechanism out where I can see it. all the plastic pieces are there and the tiny springs there. the bar will move stiffly, but is there a spring to bring it back,?? both cables move in its liner. I mash in the buttons and they won't pop back. any info is appreciated. I never had one of these things apart. I guess after 52 years is has some problems!!??? LOL

Disconnect the cables at the shifter and check them for free movement. The button mechanism should move freely and as each button is pushed it should release the other buttons. There are no springs, except on the park lever.

I've never seen a binding problem like you describe happening in the shifter mechanism, so if the shifter hasn't been tampered with, my bet is a damaged cable or a buildup of dry goo inside the cable jacket.

Those mechanisms behind the dash get gummed up with old lubricant and dust.
Can you blast it with carb cleaner where it is to get the gum out of it.

Shoot it, then work it and repeat a couple of times and it should start freeing up.
Then you might give the slide and button contact areas a little light oil.

This is in addition to the checking of the cables of course.

the latest: I pulled the shifter out of the dash so I could clean it, and try to see whats what. I was able to get the buttons to pop in and out, the park cable seems to do the entire length of travel. applied some dry graphite lub and then some whit grease. I adjusted the gear cable like the FSM says . ( I assume!)..

the slant starts right up. I can get it in drive and reverse, I ijnstalled the driveshaft otherday, thanks to some membvers here. the wheels move!!!!!! BUT no neutral. here's the strange part. after it runs , I cannot get the buttons to pop in or out, I can't get the lever that the buttons push to move. after a while, I went back out to it and then got them to move.

I have had a couple of cable shift cars 15 years ago, but I never had to work on them!!!!!! I 'm piecing this car (63 dart) back from a roller. engine here, trans there. I need someone to give some info if possible. I do appreciate any and all assistance!!!!

I took both cables loose from the shifter (pushbutton(), CABLES APPEAR TO HAVE FULL LENGTH OF TRAVEL. IT WENT FROM JUST HAVING DRIVE AND REVERSE, AND no NEUTRAL, NOW IT HAS NEEUTRAL AND NOTHING ELSE. I TRIED MOVING THE CABLE IN,. OUT , PART WAY OUT AND STILL NO GEAR, CAN IT BE HUNG UP IN PARK???? who hits the caps??? I tried moving the park cable in out and still nothing?????

I reread. I missed the part where there should be a spring on the side of mech for park lever. I was making some progress yesterday, till I tore my shoulder. one armed for at least a month. thanks I will get back to it later!

-
Back