Pushbuttons suddenly inop!

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
I'd been having intermittent NO START events, but working the pushbuttons cleared the problem several times. I just figured adjusting the shift cable would fix it, like several others have reported with neutral safety switch issues. Then one day, I started the car and none of the pushbuttons would work. No problem with the park lever, but that's a whole 'nother area.

I haven't dropped the trans pan yet, but I'm hoping it's not a MAJOR meltdown! Like maybe a screw on the rooster comb broke or fell out. That I can deal with!

Has anyone here had a similar problem? Of course, I'm hoping for a simple, easy fix. Still hoping to hit the lottery, too!

Any input would be much appreciated - words of encouragement eve more so. Kindly hold off on the "OH SH*T!!!" comments 'til I get a look at the shifter's innards.

Guess I'll charge the camera battery and show y'all what I find, too.

Thanks to all!

BC

have you checked the cable to make sure it has not been melted into the exhaust? Lawrence

Thanks for the response, Lawrence. Fortunately the 64ragtop is not my daily driver, but your suggestion is on my list for it,

BC

curious as to what you found-those pb units are durable-- the 62 I had is still being driven daily---

Lawrence

I agree that the pushbutton units are durable. I have a few that I've collected for the day when one actually does fail, but I don't think this is a control unit failure.
Having partially disassembled the control units I have to clean and lubricate them, and looking at the one on my bench just now, I'm just not seeing what in the control unit could fail and prevent any of the buttons being pressed. The shift cable or the "rooster comb" that actually perform the gear selection seem more likely.
Of course, as always, I might be wrong. In any case I will share my findings in hopes of helping anyone else who has the same king of failure.

The 64ragtop is not my daily driver and other "stuff" has kept me from actually dropping the pan to inspect the transmission end of the linkage, which is why I've been hoping for someone who has had a similar failure to chime in with THE answer. No such luck as yet!

With any luck at all, I'll clear the decks and get to the issue at hand in a day or so.

BC

-
Back