Pusher vs Puller Electric Fan

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
I read that puller fans are more efficient at cooling your engine than having a pusher fan in front of the radiator.

I bought a SPAL puller fan and shroud that fits my aluminum radiator. Looks great but the fan motor hits the water pump pulley. I need about 1.25" extra clearance. I don't have enough room unless I cut into the radiator support.

Any of you guys using a pusher style electric fan and how is it working for you? Are you using it in combination with a flex/mechanical fan ?

Thanks.

A guy I know street/strips a Dart GTS with a built 440 (oooh boy if you could hear that think run!!) he runs a 2 pusher fans and the Flex on it just to be sure. And he has never had any problem with it. I have watched the car just sit there and idle for 30 mins in 90 degree heat and not boil over (mind you he runs the Be Cool Direct Fit dual 1" core Aluminum Radiator).

A puller will be slightly more efficient than a pusher because it masks the radiator core. Probably not a big deal with a properly sized fan.

You should chose electric or mechanical, not both. Also avoid flex fans like the plague. They are noisy, inefficient, and may hurt you at high speeds. An OEM style clutch fan is still your best bet if you have room.

If you can mount the Spal unit you have now as a pusher, give it a shot. It's already paid for, right? If it doesn't work, try the MP clutch fan.

I'll have to hook up the fan to a multimeter to see if it has any internal capacitors that will prevent me from just switching wires and polarity. Otherwise I can get a polarity reverser but they are pricey. 40 bucks. Still not sure if I would need to flip the fan blades either.

i have a spal puller as space is limited, you can reverse polarity but not run as efficently,some you can reverse the blades.i bought a bling one off ebay and its utter poo:bootysha: the spal i can put a metal no plate infront of rad and the "sucker" holds it right there!:cheers:

hi, its a puller, 45mm thickest part on blade housing 70mm fan motor, will get a serial no and piccy tomorrow, i bought it off egay, the guy listed it with model no, cross referance that against spal website, gives you technical info,cfm,and importantally dimensions. if the number is followed by an "s" this would indicate its a sucker! i rate them highly.

how cool does your car stay with it?

Its about 110 here in pheonix and car stays at 210 while cruising but if i stop it jumps over 210. I've been thinking about getting a spal but i have limited space.

mine a 440ci in A body so space i have litttle! i had a crap elec temp guage that has since gone in bin as gone capillary guages so will let you know,do you have stock cast water pump/housing? mine is, dont know if worth upgrading for better circulation and lighten my front end a little?

I tried an elecric fan on my 68 dart but had the same problem. The motor didn't clear the water pump. I purchased the MP clutch fan and have been well satisfied. It does'nt even try to heat up making back to back passes. Fact is I have to make sure the car is warmed up some before I make a pass.

Actually A = aspiration. S=soufflé (blow)

thanks for all the input. I decided to make two small notches in my rad support and keep everything as a puller setup. I had to cut off the aluminum brackets I had welded onto the radiator. Picked up more angled aluminum stock to make more brackets. Should work out well. Clearance was really tight. Maybe 3/8". Plenty I hope. I'll be happy not to have a mechanical fan.

-
Back