Pushrod length in stroker

-

65valiantwin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for your opinions here, i'm just putting together a 360 stroker, bored .030 over, new heads from hughes it's going to be primarily a street car. Anyways, i'm putting in a new cam from Comp (CL20-671-4) and they say i need 7.55" pushrods, if possible i'd like to use my stock pushrods which are 7.50".

I have limited experience and am wondering if the small difference going to be an issue?

Thx guys

You may need hardened pushrods and not stockers, and as I understand it you should use a measuring pushrod to be sure what you need. (a head gasket difference could change the length needed)

I'm not a pro at cams and pushrods so someone with more experience will chime in I'm sure.

There is also "oil through" or not to consider depending on your valve train.

You need to measure to be sure. Do you have adjustable rocker arms?

How about I put it this way:

If you don't use the proper pushrod length, it may cause a piston to hit a valve, and I've had pistons and rods go through the side of the block when this happens...

IS IT WORTH RISKING OR GETTING RIGHT???

I hear ya, when you put it that way it's hard to argue...I just wondered if 5 100th's would make a diff....thx though

I hear ya, when you put it that way it's hard to argue...I just wondered if 5 100th's would make a diff....thx though

Put it this way, 5 100ths of an inch shorter than recommended is safer than that same amount too long when it comes to valve clearances.
My personal opinion is that it probably won't make a difference at all to use the .05 shorter pushrods.
But if I was breaking in a new cam I would do exactly as recommended.

Hope you didn't put stiffer springs in it also, because there is sometimes a problem where the rod ends up pushing through a stock rocker.

You should always check. Since your using non-adjustable rockers, you defiantly need to check. Comp shouldn't say what push rods fit your combination since the block may have been decked, the heads may have been decked, your rocker pedestals may be in a slightly different location than the old heads, head gasket thickness, Valve tip location, actual rocker ratio and cup location, base circle of the cam, lifter cup location, etc.

Thanks guys, using the dual valve springs comp recommended, 995-16

Thinking I'll use those springs when I change cams, so let me know if they do go through the rocker and how long it took will ya? :D

I have seen where a lot of people used those springs with stock rockers and haven't heard of any disasters I can pinpoint. (figured I'd throw that last sentence in just in case I made you nervous) :D

5 100ths is .050" or fifty thousandths... Not .005" which is 5 thousandths.... Big difference, like 10 times....

Typical lifter preload is about .040..

If your pushrod is shorter than your lifter preload, then your pushrods may be too loose, then who knows where they will end up or what they will do to the valve - maybe even let it hit a piston.

at this point u do not need a length checking tool, check how much the plunger in the lifter will be or not be loaded with the stock pushrods

at this point u do not need a length checking tool, check how much the plunger in the lifter will be or not be loaded with the stock pushrods

Kinda what I was saying. With that small of a difference they will rattle or be good.
He knows what the old ones are so he cant be off more than the 5 thousandths difference.

-
Back