Pushrod Question

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I am upgrading my cam and lifters to a cam with a 284 advertised duration 320/480, and have purchased the cam and lifters as a matched set. my question is about the push rods. I removed the old stock push rods which have a small hole in the ends of the rods. I have a set of Comp Cams push rods that are the same length as the stock but do not have the holes in the ends. Would these push rods work in my setup? I will be retaining the stock rocker arms due to low funds at this time.

they are suppose to work but,, you need .020 to .050 preload on the lifters to keep them from rattling.so i would not buy any pushrods until you measure what you need or you may have the same problem i had all winter.

They should work if their the same length but it's always a good idea to check the lifter pre-load. LA engines don't need pushrods with holes in them cause the rockers oil through the shafts. Magnum engines require pushrods with oil thru holes cause the rockers get their oil that way.

ok cheers. Was just wondering as the LA engine has the solid push rods from standard.When fitting say a set of comp cam lifters with oil holes in the lifter cup and a hole in the push rod wont it feed the the pushrod as well as the rocker rail at the same time. just curious if there would be a lack of pressure in the rail when from standard it doesnt run through the push rod.?

ok cheers. Was just wondering as the LA engine has the solid push rods from standard.When fitting say a set of comp cam lifters with oil holes in the lifter cup and a hole in the push rod wont it feed the the pushrod as well as the rocker rail at the same time. just curious if there would be a lack of pressure in the rail when from standard it doesnt run through the push rod.?

It will cause it to supply the top end with more oil than necessary. They'll work but I wouldn't use them as I like all the oil I can get to the rods and mains.

-
Back