put 727 together. slips 2-3

-

C300

Reaction score
Rebuilt the 727. all seems good but goes from 1st strait to 3rd. when shifting manually, slips going into third-or delayed engagement. kickdown adjusting doesn't change the 2-3. suggestions ? not wanting to pull it again. no line pressure gauges currently. 1984 1 ton 360 411's.

Sounds like something is wrong with the band apply like out of adjustment or maybe the anchor or servo strut.
TF transmissions will skip second all together if the band doesn't apply.
When I first got my car and drove it home it jumped straight from 1-3 because the band was so far out of adjustment the servo pin never clamped the band, so it just skipped second all together.

did 2nd work when manually shifted into second ? mine kicks down and works shifted into 2nd

did 2nd work when manually shifted into second ? mine kicks down and works shifted into 2nd

Nope, no engine braking either and is what made me notice it really quick.
I seem to remember something about auto second vs manual second, but I can't remember what it was.
I forgot so much about these transmissions after 25 years it's ridiculous, but maybe Tracy can give you an idea.

Fishy68 is Tracy.

Good news, dam kick down linkage was caching on a firewall wire bundle tab. All's good! Shifts nice. Engine rings un sticking from sitting Too long. The better it runs, the more I had to adjust the timing and carb. Good to go, thanks all, C300

Sounded the same as what mine was doing with no kickdown hooked up! Compliments of the previous owner cobbling up a 2v bracket instead of appropriate linkage I later scrounged from the junkyard. Glad you found your issue and it was a simple fix. I was pretty relieved once I got the linkage rods adjusted on mine a a took it for a real test drive.

You have a how to on the 727 rebuild?

I used this online copy of the overhaul manual

google datapunx i couldn't get the link to work.

that and the article from allpar with tom hand

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-tom-hand.html

A press for the fwd clutch pack and any worn bushings. a clean parts cleaner. some of the green assy. lube from napa. good set of Tools. snap ring pliers torque wrench and a place to make a mess. the fluid smell will stick around for a while. not sure of your experience but i had a friend to lean on. didn't need him, but left auto trans. and front end alignements to the shop till this. was for my truck. i'm a good wrench. so went for it. it had a bad/warped clutch piston. had to pull it apart again and stick on from a parts trans.after blowing the big lip seal. if you are putting in a aftermarket valve body it's not too hard. i didn't change the springs. measured the screw depths before dissasambly. wrote it down. lots of pictures. and labels worst thing that can happen is bringing it to the place you were going to have build it... good luck, C300

Nice! Just built my first hi performance th350, but have never had a 727 apart.

-
Back