Put my 170ci on a dyno!

-

vntned

Reaction score
So a local modern Mopar club was having a Dyno Day at a friend of mines shop. I mainly went to have a good time and watch a lot of late model guys get their feelings hurt. It was a lot of fun, and there were some cars there making some great numbers. Biggest numbers went to a SRT challenger with a blown 426 stroker built by Petty Enterprises. It made just shy of 600hp at the wheels! Good numbers, but pricey! He had over $100k in his car!

Anyways, after watching all the late model stuff run, one of my friends said I needed to put my '64 Dart on the dyno and see what a stock 170 puts down! So we strapped her down, fired her up and started rowing through the gears. First pull I made 58whp and 81tq. The next run we pulled the air filter and made 59whp and 84tq. At this point I decided I wanted to see 60hp at the wheels! So we grabbed an electric leaf blower and crammed it over the carb. Fired it back up, rowed to 3rd gear and layed the pedal down! After turning it as high as it'd go, we wound up with just over 61whp and 89ftlbs! I was ecstatic! It put out almost exactly what I was expecting.

Now that I have a base line, it's time to figure out how I'm gonna make some more power. Draw thru turbo, 210ci stroker or 225...[/img]

Bet you get better gas milage than the Hemi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was good for a 170 with a gross hp of 101.You would be surprised with just a little work what these engines can do.
Stock block 225 with Clifford intake, 500 afb,Clifford Headers,340 valve springs,and a 4.30 rear pulled 208 at the flywheel and 153 at the rear wheels on the chassis dyno.

WOW! I give you a real "atta boy" for dropping your /6 on a dyno next to a those big numbers. I'm collecting parts for a /6 in the Barracuda now and every one thinks I'm nuts as my shop is next to a big bow-tie camp of 500-900 hp cars. As a collective they try to put me down but each one individually think my 66 Barracuda is pretty cool and wish they had a daily driver quality car just to go get ice cream in - turn key and go!

I ran the numbers and converting a car out of a /6 into anything is now in the $2-$3,000 range (to do it right) or more. And to /6's are actually getting to be more rare stock in older a-bodies than you think. A few go-fast items and its a little neck snapper.
Just enjoy the journey, not how fast you get there.
Joe

That's impressive,for a /6. Had a dyno in college,watched an early 70's Datsun 1600 pickup,put down a blazing 22 peak horsepower, lol.

I had a 69 Valiant with a 170. We went to a track in Richmond VA and I got outrun by a hopped up golf cart!

I got a complete 225 your more then welcome to if you want to come pick it up
(should be a good core)

-
Back