Putting a 71 Dart back together...

-

GhostFish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a 71 Dart project over the winter break for a killer price. As it's gotten a bit warmer, I've finally been able to pull all the pieces out of the interior of the car. Literally all the pieces, bumper, fenders, trunk lid, dash, etc.

I've noticed a huge lack of the bits and pieces to put it back together. Bolts, nuts, washers, etc.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what I should go after at the hardware store? I'm going to get a plethora of bolts and screws to start putting this thing back together but I don't want to end up with a bunch of crap I can't use!

You are in for some fun. I bought my bolts from fasten all.

I guess it's looking less like a good deal lol. Oh well I'll get it back together. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you recall any of the sizes on things like the fender bolts and what not? I don't want to waste a trip and come home with nothing I can use.

Your best bet is to go to HF and get a thread tap set, you can size bolts all day long, and clean threads. It's like any other tool, you don't realize how much you need it until you have it.

I didn't realize the situation was this dire :) I can send you all those rusty and semi-rusty bolts I was telling you about from one of the Darts I parted out. I'm sure I have the fender bolts, decklid bolts, valence bolts, stuff like that. That way, you'll not only know what size bolt it is, but also the length that was originally used. Should make things easier and quicker. Maybe some of the ones I have can even be cleaned up and used, your call.

I second the suggestion to get a tap & die set. I got mine at Fleet Farm for a good price. It's a Grip brand SAE set, and you'll need it anyway. It has a thread gauge included (of course), so you can immediately tell what pitch it is whether you have the bolt or only the hole. Pick up one of those cheap plastic things with the holes in it so you can tell quickly what diameter the bolt is too if you don't already have one. Very handy.

I'd be out in the garage right now digging out parts for you, but I've been sick for the past 3 days and woke up this morning even sicker, almost unable to breathe. It's horrible.

Anyway, then like I said for the small bits, just get an exterior screw kit and an interior screw kit for probably only about $50 total at most, and you're covered on all the little chrome screws and whatnot.

You do have the bolts to hang the door hinges, right? I think I remember your doors being on the car...

-
Back