Putting a modern rear axle in an a body?

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Has anyone put a modern rear axle in an A body and what are the specs on the current crop of axles say from a magnum?
Andrew

all the LX family of cars cam with an IRS rear in them. unless you want to do a ton of fab work it will not be a bolt in deal. and the rears in the LX cars have been known to fail. they will not hold up to much power. (above the factory 5.7 and 6.1 hemi levels) i would say about 100-150 more HP with a sticky tire is about the limit on them.

Though there are opinions and legitimate arguments that a well setup stick axle is just as good if not better than IRS, IRS is way cool and I can't wait to get mine setup and tuned. For all the fabwork your doing Andrew, pick up an LX rear and go to town.

...and I am almost positive that the LX rear ends are a variant of a Mercedes Benz axle that is very difficult and expensive to buy parts for. At that point, it is probably cheaper to call Moser and have them built you a D60.

Great idea though, we just need to figure out a better donor... ;-)

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

I'd bet the LX rear setup will be much too wide for an A-Body.

Guy on Moparts did a T-Bird IRS. That seemed to work pretty good. I've see one start on a late 80's Supra IRS, but as far as I know he didn't get any farther than buying the stuff and test fittting things.

Well it's not a Mopar axle but my pop just bought a 64 rambler that some one installed a 92 Ford Ranger 8.8" axle in and I measured it and it is within 1/2" of the same width of my 68 Cuda 8-3/4 axle plus it has 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern so it'd be a super easy install on an A-body. I bet you could get them pretty cheap at the junkyard or on Craigslist. And there are tons of parts cheap out there for them, especially on e-bay. Got a brand new set of superior gears for his off of E-bay for $80 shipped. It's a fairly decent axle too. About equal to a Mopar 8-1/4 or slightly better. Of course you'd need to cut off the factory mounts and weld on perches but that's cake work.

I'd bet the LX rear setup will be much too wide for an A-Body.

Guy on Moparts did a T-Bird IRS. That seemed to work pretty good. I've see one start on a late 80's Supra IRS, but as far as I know he didn't get any farther than buying the stuff and test fittting things.
> Over on "Granny's Speed Shop" webb site, is a feature of 3k lb. Gen III RX 7, Turbo sbf. with 998hp/1,200 ftlb. torque. Stock rear/LSD(7" ring gear), lasted down to 9.03 et's in the 1/4. Turbo in 93-95, has 8" ring and all-gear posi. Nice modular set-up. Looks like good potential. ateam.:glasses9:

> Over on "Granny's Speed Shop" webb site, is a feature of 3k lb. Gen III RX 7, Turbo sbf. with 998hp/1,200 ftlb. torque. Stock rear/LSD(7" ring gear), lasted down to 9.03 et's in the 1/4. Turbo in 93-95, has 8" ring and all-gear posi. Nice modular set-up. Looks like good potential. ateam.:glasses9:

I wouldn't look at the RX7 IRS. Even the Turbo II (86-88 clutch limited slip), which is considered the strongest of the RX7 diffs aren't really that strong. Plenty of guys have busted the 8" diffs (Turbo II and 3rd gen) with bone stock LS1s and other mild-medium combos. Swapping to a stock 28 spline 8.8 is considered an upgrade if that tells you anything.

Look at the 03-04 Cobra IRS.

BTW, the RX7 you refer to is a 2nd gen. ;)

Thanks for all the replys.
This line of thinking started from not wanting to pay $800+ for rear discs on my 8 3/4. I just ordered a welder so I will be getting back into the fabrication with a vengeance.
However I thought that if the axle from the jeep could be easily used in an A body it would solve a lot of problems. Obviously that is not the case.
I am going to secure a complete rear setup from a jeep and install it on the axle as is and then from there decide how to do the install permanently.
Andrew

$800 for rear discs, who is making that kit and what does it consist of... I can't remember the company making the disc set up but it was less then $600

factory style setup using iron calipers w/e brakes $560
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPA...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230550a573

$600 Aerospace Components...all billet! no e brake....use a line lock
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aero...iewItem&pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item4ce722e4bc

Wilwood $650 no e brake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cee419ccf

Here's the one! $650
Brand New Wilwood Rear Parking Brake, Pro Series Forged Dynalite, Bolt-On 12.19" Disc Brake Kit (Part #140-7144) for Both Rear Wheels.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILW...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item439f882d92

-
Back