putting the motor back together

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok so when i install the cam... is there a way i should do it? becasue i know i have to put the special grease on it but is there a good way to install it so that i dont hurt anything?

also when i install the distrib. is there anyhting special i have to do?

and to set the timing for setup is all i have to do is match the crank slot with the cam slot?

Installing the cam is pretty straight foward:)(that was humor) Just slide it carefully not forcing it and pay attention to the plane so that it slides in all the way back. If you get out of alignment you can move it around gently but be careful not to knick anything. They also make a handle that goes on the end to facilitate the install and makes it much easier tha last 1/4 of the way.
Not sure what you mean by slots on the crank and cam. There should be timing marks on the crank and cam gears that need to be lined up when installing the set. I believe to be at tdc #1 the marks on the crank and cam sprockets need to be at the 12 o'clock position for both. not the 12 and 6 o'clock like chevy. The distributor should go in after that with the rotor pointing to the #1 cylinder plug wire on the cap.
You should really look this stuff up on the net and get something to print for reference while your doing the job. You might also get some good pics and such to reference. There are also lot's of books that could be helpful too.

ok thanks when i meant slots

i mean the (im going to call it thing) thing that sticks out on the cam and the crank has something similar so that the gear slides onto both. would that mean that both of these point up to 12 o clock?

no, no ,no.....lol. Those are the keyway and keys that keep the things from just spinning on the shaft. The marks you want are on the gears themselves. can be hard to see on the smaller gear.

i think i need help becasue i got timming gears and they dont have marks yes i spent all that money for them becasue i got a good deal on them

i dont know if this is similiar but this is what i found on the internet

1, Place the idle gear mounting plate on the cam retainer and loosely tight the bolts.
2. Place cam and crank gears on the cam shaft and crank snort.
3. Drill additional bolt holes follow by the bolt holes pattern on the mounting plate
with 17/64 bit at engine block from two bolt holes at mounting plate lower side to
0.750” deep.
4. Tap both holes with 5/16-18 tap and clean the holes thoroughly.
5, Install supplied 5/16 bolts at the new bolt holes and torque to 20 ft-lbs.
6. Install cam gear and torque the thrust bolt to 45 ft-lbs.
7. Place a news paper between all gear teeth to ensure proper backlash maintained.
8. Engine Timing:
a. Install damper on crank and set NO.1 cylinder at TDC position.
b. Using Cam maker specification to find No.1 intake opening degree and move
crank to that degree.
c. Place a dial indicator on top of valve to ensure the lift of cam specification has
reached.

For example, if the cam specification indicates the intake opens at 39º with
0.50” lift. Turn the crank to 39º with dial indicator show a 0.050”lift reached.
d. Mark on the cam gear this is a “0º” timing mark for the cam gear. Install
cam gear bolt.

9. You can advance or retard the engine timing by position the crank gear key way
in 5 different positions according to the timing chart supplied by cam maker.

Tell Me If Im Wrong But If Install The Stock Timing Gears So That The Cam And Crank Are Timed Together And The Dots Line Up Then Take Them Off And Install The Timing Gears Everything Should Be Timed Right?

I think your best bet for this first engine build is to find an engine building friend that lives near you. Someone on this site with experience must live in close proximity to you. There is no substitue for experience, even if you can & do read & follow the instructions in an engine assembly manual. Having someone experienced present to guide, mentor, & assist (not do the work for you - that's not helping you at all and not what I'm suggesting) will make a tremendous difference in the ease of assembly, the knowledge & comfort that it was done right and that you can fire it off without worries, and hopefully the confidence & the ability to do it on your own the next time. I'd say that it's time to start networking.

-
Back