Putting two speakers in the dash, when it was only built for one

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My dash has a single speaker in it. That worked fine for the original AM radio that was in the car. But now i took that radio out and stuck in something i could plug my ipod in(sorry you all original fans).

I have it wired up to the single speaker, but that doesn't give me much audio satisfaction. I'd like to put in two speakers where that one speaker is now.

I was just wondering if y'all knew what size speaker is in a 66 plymouth valiant and what two speakers would fit well in the same area?

I dont' really want to make new speaker holes in the dash or anything like that. I just want two small speakers in the same spot that the big speaker is in now.

are there mounting areas in the back deck? That would be a lot easier.....

Ya, i'm doing that also. There are already two holes in the back. So that'll be easy. I want stereo in the front. I listen to a lot of odd music and i don't want one channel dominating the front seat, then proper stereo coming from the rear.

Thanks 6pk demon, thats exactly what i was looking for. I wonder how much it is.

Private message go!

There are some on the market to put 2 in, also you could fab up a plate and use 2 small 3" speakers too.

Tom

I picked this one up from a swapmeet a while back.

carstuff006tb6.jpg

Your 66 should have a 6x9 speaker mounted to a plate with two ears that hold it to the dash. Going to two speakers in the stock front location actually works quite well and sounds better than you might think. Contact '74 sport for some brackets to do the job (see this link for some photos http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=25433 ) or make an outline of your 6x9 speaker. Cut an aluminum plate the same as your outline and cut openings for your new, small speakers and then mount those to the aluminum plate. Then mount the plate to the original bracket. Cover the top with some new speaker cloth and mount it up. Put some blocking capacitors in-line to eliminate some bass so those small speakers don't over exert themselves trying to create deep bass. (A sub in some stealth location elsewhere in the car can cover those deep bass duties better anyway, or in the case of your car which has rear speaker locations, the rears can contribute the bass...) I put the twin small speakers up front on my cars and believe it works quite well.

Bcuda speaker.jpg

Valiant speaker.jpg

did the same thing in my barracuda,,my car is noisy in side and the speakers i had werent cutting it,,i made a bracket mounted 2 small good quality speakers to it,,and it made a ton of diference

I've been contemplating making kick panel speaker pods for my '66 Dart - right now it has just rear speakers, and I don't like the way it sounds. I don't doubt that the stock speaker could be improved on even if you keep the same location, but you can get a better stereo effect with kick panel speakers. On the other hand, I'm going to have to find out how the new engine buildup ends up sounding - it may drown out any stereo that doesn't add an unacceptable level of dead weight. :)

unless your using a high powered,big dollar system,,,if you have a loud engine or exhaust,the kick panel area seems worth less with a regular or cheaper system,,altho i love music,,played in bands for years,music is not my biggest concern when tooling around to cruise nites and such in my barracuda. so needless to say i have a average indash radio,with an add on 100 watt EQ/AMP,,i have 6x9 speakers in a box directly in front of the wheel tubs on the flor pointing up,and a pair of smaler speakers mounted in the stock dash location, mounting them in the dash location made a huge difference in my car with my small average system over haveing speakers mounted in the kick panel area,and they arent visable,,totallly happy with 2 speakers mounted in the factory dash location as front speakers in a loud car

I like it!!! I'm going to do the same thing, only go a little higher end. I'm gonna put the mids where you put those full range speakers and put some separate tweeters down below pointing up at your heads in a custom aluminum center console that runs from the dash down to the floor and then back between quad bucket seats! That will give the killer stereo separation!

I've got a lot of these crazy ideas.......
thumbup.gif

-
Back