QA1 Dynamic strut rod. OOPS

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In my 1973 scamp that I am getting ready to put on the road, I missed a step. I have the QA1 K-frame and I installed the dynamic strut rods a while back. Now I have the entire front end assembled and ride height set. While getting ready to do the alignment, I realized that I did not adjust the lengths of the QA1 dynamic strut rods. Do I have to remove the shocks, spindles and torsion bars to check for binding?? Or is there any other way to adjust the lengths? Doh.....
FWIW, I "thought" that this would be adjusted during an alignment so I was not concerned about it at the time.

Edit for completeness. The upper control arms, spindles, calipers etc. are brand new from Doctordiff.

Last edited:
You’ll need to remove the shocks. If you remove the torsion bar adjusting bolts and plates you should be able to lift the suspension and move it through its full range of travel with everything else attached. Obviously it’ll be heavier than with just the LCA, but you get a better idea of binding with the suspension fully assembled.

Not having to remove the torsion bar would be great. I didn't think about just removing the bolt and plate. Thanks

Not having to remove the torsion bar would be great. I didn't think about just removing the bolt and plate. Thanks

It’s better that way anyway, you get a better idea of how the suspension really moves if everything is hooked up as it will be going down the road. It does make it a little harder though because you’re working with the full weight of all the suspension pieces.

Just make sure you keep track of your ride height setting, otherwise your alignment will change.

@72bluNblu I just got the Fastrax 91000 to do the alignment and will do that after I finish this.

Nice! It takes a little practice to get the hang of it but it's a good gauge. Do you have turn plates for the wheels?
No, I do not have plates but it seems that many have used flat plate lubricated in between or trash bags. I was going to try 6 mil poly, 4-6 layers.

No, I do not have plates but it seems that many have used flat plate lubricated in between or trash bags. I was going to try 6 mil poly, 4-6 layers.

That will work, you just need a smooth surface and lubrication so the tires turn smoothly when you turn the wheels. Grease between two aluminum plates works fine. Even just plain dish soap on a polished concrete floor works ok. A poly plastic and a bunch of dish soap should be fine if the concrete is relatively smooth.

-
Back