quadrajets? need help quick.

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
I let my brother use my thermoquad, while I was rebuilding my engine, he hit a cow, tore the hell out of his truck and my carb:angry7: any way he has a new- different 86 ram, 360, quadrajet nad he just bought a 60,000 mile 360 engine and trans, so he's giving me his carb, 2 questions, 1 will it fit my stock iron intake, and 2 how the hell do you tune one? I had my thermoquad fine tuned, but that was the only carb I ever messed with, even tho I had to ask a few questions on it, as it's been 20 years since I tuched a carb. thanks .

Mark

Yes, the queerdrajet will bolt on. Find another Thermoquad.

they worked for Mopars in the day too as Mopar put quadrajets on a lot of small blocks. they are goor carbs, just not a thremoquad.

it's the factory carb off his 360, now I need to learn how to tune the damn thing, as it worked good on his truck, but seems pig rich on my motor, what;s the base setting for the air/fuel mix? can you do them like a thermoquad, 3 turns out? thank's for the replys.

Mark

yeah start with three. with it in drive with the wheels blocked and a vacuum gauge on it. adjust til you get the highest vacuum reading at idle in drive, then one additional half turn out (lean).

yeah start with three. with it in drive with the wheels blocked and a vacuum gauge on it. adjust til you get the highest vacuum reading at idle in drive, then one additional half turn out (lean).

thanks, you know what port to plug the vacuum advance in? I have it on the drivers side front, not sure if it's right or not tho.

thanks, you know what port to plug the vacuum advance in? I have it on the drivers side front, not sure if it's right or not tho.

If I remember, it's on the passenger side coming out of the middle body of the carb.

Sadly, a lot of the Q-Jets that Mopar bought were the "electronic" versions (E4ME) which should be avoided. For performance use, look for either the early "4M" versions or the "M4M" versions which use different rods/jets but the fundamentals remain the same. Any Mopar version, electronic or not, will be of the later "M4M" style.

As long as some monkey didn't overtorque the front bolts, warping the main body to junk, a Q-Jet is a perfectly decent carb. But a warped/hacked Q-Jet will bring you no end to frustration.

strokerscamp, you want to redo all your info? as it was all lost in the server mishap, I understand if you don't as it was a lot of work, I had to leave for work and didn't get to copy it, thanks.

Mark

I don't know. I'm kinda gunshy now. Seems something goes wrong with this server about once a week on a regular basis. First time I've ever seen stuff come up missin, though. Oh well.

I read that. But chat is always lockin up and resetting....and seems about the same time the site is a bear to get on. Always somethin it seems like.

I have 303,000 miles on my quadrajet with just 2 rebuilds, great carbs.

yes they are!
I dont know why so many people repeat the same crap about them without experience. if you take the time to get them dialed in they are very good.

yes they are!
I dont know why so many people repeat the same crap about them without experience. if you take the time to get them dialed in they are very good.

now that I have one, and will be using it for awhile, I'm going to learn how to dial it in, that way when I get another thermoquad, I'll have a spare carb.

-
Back