Quality time under the car- fuel sender

-

yarcraft91

Reaction score
After reading many threads here on replacing the fuel sender, I ordered one for my '67 Barracuda and installed it today. Talk about easy! The worst part was cleaning off 44 years of accumulated grime covering the sender and everything near it. The rear axle had a slow fluid leak at the drain plug and guess where the fluid had been going while I was driving.

For the benefit of those facing this job, here's how it went.

New sender is a Spectrum Premium FG69A. Available through NAPA, Auto Zone or Advance Auto. NAPA is most expensive of the three. Sender comes with a new seal and lock ring. You also need a short piece of 5/16" ID fuel hose and two clamps.

1. Drove far enough to burn 2/3 of a tank of gas. Remaining gasoline will be below the fuel sender mounting hole.
  2. Jacked up the right rear of the car with the bumper jack, slid a cement block with 3 stacked 2x10's under front bolt of the right leaf spring, lowered the car onto the block and then put a jack stand under the axle for good measure. Lots of room to work.
  3. Crawled under the car, cleaned off the area around the fuel sender and sprayed it down with penetrating oil (probably unnecessary, but it also flushed away more grime).
  4. Popped off the ground strap, removed the fuel hose clamps and cut off the 4" piece of fuel hose (still flexible and sound after 20+ years of E10 use!).
  5. Brass drift and a 4 oz brass hammer, 5-6 gentle whacks to the lock ring tabs to rotate the ring anti-clockwise and the ring popped out of the lock position. Removed the ring, then the old sender, then the neoprene seal. Cleaned up the original locking ring for re-use.
  6. Installed a new piece of fuel hose on the steel fuel line and put two clamps on the hose- loose.
  7. Put the new neoprene seal on the tank opening, slid the new sender into the hole and positioned it. Re-used the original locking ring, popped it into position with the brass drift- took a slightly larger hammer to get the ring rotated to the locked position.
  8. Pushed the fuel hose onto the sender's fuel nipple, positioned and tightened the hose clamps, snapped on the original ground strap and pushed the sender wire onto the terminal. Done!
The original sender failed because the plastic float was full of gasoline. I have a working gas gauge again!

Now, about that 7 1/4" rear axle leak- removed the drain plug, took the plug and gasket to NAPA. Well, shoot, there is no identical gasket in stock there or at the 6 other places I checked. Finally had NAPA order me a Balkamp 704-1969 gasket- right ID, slightly smaller OD- but I had to buy a box of 10 (more than a lifetime supply). I packed some grease around the drain plug after re-installing it to keep the exposed sealing surfaces from rusting.

And that's how I spent some quality time under the car today...

-
Back