Quarter panel quality?

-

Brambles

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the quarter panels from Year One vs the other parts places. In canada we have an outfit called "Cross Canada" that supplies a fair chunk of body panels, but they are probably off-shore panels.

What is the best place to get quality panels from so they line up as best as possible?

Thanks

Brambles

Dont know what kind of car you are talking about???

Heard nothing but good stuff about www.autometaldirect.com They have full quarters for Duster/Demon and Swingers coming soon. Year One sells just the skins and the quality is not all that great

I just got word from them! I emailed to comment on the fact they really had no swinger panels. 1/4 panels and outer wheel houses coming next year! So be patient,stuff for our cars is coming!

I suggested a full inner fender as well. These are the same from 67 to 76 so it would make good sense and is sorely needed.

Howdy Brambles,

We get a lot of stock from Cross Canada, including sheet metal body parts. I'm no body man, but they look kind of wimpy to me. I don't know what the fit would be like either. But they are priced right.

Like anything else, Buyer Beware.

From what I've read a number of times on this site is that it doesn't matter what supplier it is all panels come from the same manufacturer in China. Now don't quote me on that cause I'm not 100% sure just hearsay.

From what I've read a number of times on this site is that it doesn't matter what supplier it is all panels come from the same manufacturer in China. Now don't quote me on that cause I'm not 100% sure just hearsay.
I thought it was Tiwan, not China.

only one manufature of quarter panels for Dart, but many suppliers. Your local body shop can order the same panels from there suppliers. Its all the same for now.

Thanks, guess I'll just by the ones with the best price then. I'd pay more for a good fitting panel but if its all the same stuff then I guess thats what ya have to work with

My 1970 Duster quarters were badly rusted and I looked in to replacement quarters.The problem I found (including Year One )is that the after market panels metal thickness is different and quality was lacking.I ended buying a rear clip for my Duster.Have you consider buying a quarter from a salvage yard?

Autometals sight home page says they use thier own tools steels to make panels.

Cant find any other info? but I remember a post here and somone stated they were quite happy with the product.

Check Goodmark Industries site. I bought a couple of their panels for my 72 demon and were very good quality. I have bought some from others for challengers that were wavy and could not use the whole panel or would have been more trouble than worth to straighten.

Brambles, if I remember correctly, Cross Canada Panels gets all their stock from Sherman Industries. Most of them are Taiwan made parts, but they fit as good / bad as most of the others available.

Do you have any photos of the quarter panel that needs replacing? Generally, I suggest that you replace only as much metal as is necessary, rather than replacing complete panels, especially quarters. The smaller wheel well arch and rear lower patch panels seem to be easier to replace than doing the compete quarters. Again, only use as much of the patch panels as you require to get to good metal on your exiating quarter.

If you do decide to use Cross Canada panels, shop around with several suppliers and you can probably save some cash because of their pricing syatems.

Brambles, if I remember correctly, Cross Canada Panels gets all their stock from Sherman Industries. Most of them are Taiwan made parts, but they fit as good / bad as most of the others available.

Do you have any photos of the quarter panel that needs replacing? Generally, I suggest that you replace only as much metal as is necessary, rather than replacing complete panels, especially quarters. The smaller wheel well arch and rear lower patch panels seem to be easier to replace than doing the compete quarters. Again, only use as much of the patch panels as you require to get to good metal on your exiating quarter.

If you do decide to use Cross Canada panels, shop around with several suppliers and you can probably save some cash because of their pricing syatems.

No pictures yet, I know the lower's behind the wheels are solid bondo, I won't know how much was previously replaced and or bondo'd until I start digging it out, there is 1/2 bondo on a rocker panel.

Right now I'm going to replace

-Both quarters
-Both Rockers
-Both fenders arn't bad but I might just replace them, drivers has rust on the tab in the engine comp and the passenger fender looks to be off a 1971

Good news is from what I've seen the frame, floorpans, trunk they are all spotless as well as the decklid, valences, hood. Glass is all good, interior is decent just needs some cleaning and minor repair.

No pictures yet, I know the lower's behind the wheels are solid bondo, I won't know how much was previously replaced and or bondo'd until I start digging it out, there is 1/2 bondo on a rocker panel.

Right now I'm going to replace

-Both quarters
-Both Rockers
-Both fenders arn't bad but I might just replace them, drivers has rust on the tab in the engine comp and the passenger fender looks to be off a 1971

Good news is from what I've seen the frame, floorpans, trunk they are all spotless as well as the decklid, valences, hood. Glass is all good, interior is decent just needs some cleaning and minor repair.

The Cross Canada panels are surely going to be the same ones that all the places (Goodmark, Year One, Paddock, etc) in the States sell which are all from Taiwan.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=25237&highlight=panels

Shipping is going to be the killer for you unless there's a place in Kootenays that will bring them in. If your planning a road trip down to the coast, you can get the panels thru Gasoline Alley (http://www.gasalley1.com/) and their prices are decent. I paid $177 for each quarter panel.

No one repos the front fenders so your either going to have to find good used fenders or make patches for the areas that are rotted on yours. They do repo the dog leg patch for the Dart fenders though.

Most of the autopart stores in town deal with CrossCanada so bringing them in shouldn't be a problem.

Probably going to be about $1000 for
-R+L Full Quarter skins
-R+L Rockers
-R+L Truck/Quarter extensions
-R+L Fender patch panels

Might have found some fenders Just have to get ahold of the guy.

Try Auto Body Specialties, they are out of Connecticut. Very nice stuff.
autobodyspecialt.com

-
Back