Quarter panel salvaging tips?

-

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hi all! My intent is to remove the quarter panels, trunk pan, and trunk extensions from a title-less for parts '68 Barracuda and use them as replacement/patch panels for mine. Any tips or tricks to removal? Current plan is to work out where all of the spot welds are and use a spot weld cutter to remove each until I have them free. New to this whole ordeal, I appreciate any help!

Thanks! -Fuzz

Last edited:
when I have done that in the past I cut the welds that split the inner and outer wheel housing and at the seam between the trunk floor and the trunk floor extensions. If all that is in good shape then it is easier to reweld the whole piece in places that are not as visible. it also helps keep the correct shape to the quarter panel .

don't forget about the leaded seams.

Not sure how to go about that but needs to be dealt with differently.

don't forget about the leaded seams.

Not sure how to go about that but needs to be dealt with differently.

A torch and a wire brush works pretty good. You'll see the lead start to sag and then just rough it up with the hand brush. Repeat until clean. This worked well for me.

Get a quality spot weld cutter, it makes a world of difference. I use a Blair Rotabroach spotweld cutter and it's awesome. There are other products that work well too.

Blair Equipment Company - Spot Weld Cutters & Auto Body Tools

Be careful around the lip of the wheel well as mentioned. It's easy to really beat up the metal there. I put a chuck of wood on the inside between the lip and the well so when I applied pressure while cutting, it didn't flex the steel.

-
Back