Question: 67-69 Barracuda cargo side panel carpet

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
I'm going to be carpeting a custom built set of side panels I modified for speakers (yes my originals are in storage). Question is as follows for those who have carpet and/or installed new carpet: Since the panels I got from ACC Carpet are oversize, I don't know exactly how the carpet overlaps (or doesn't overlap) the curved area and lip on the top and front of the metal panel (my originals are not carpeted- standard interior). In other words, does the carpet go into the seam where the screws would install to hold the panel on, or does the carpet just butt up to that area? See photograph for more details.

carpetquestion.JPG

The entire area not covered by trim is covered by carpet in a stock aplication.

Edit.

Sorry. that didn't really answer your question.

Without taking mine apart and looking I would say it does more that just butt up against the flange.

I believe it does, there are notches IIRC cut out where carpet is under the trim and the pins attach

Grant

Ok, so I assume the trim around the window opening sandwiches the carpet under it. Is that correct? Any other input out there? Thanks guys.

Thanks. I appreciate that. The flange... that is the best word I can describe the area in question...

Ok, I now have my carpet and will be attempting to glue it down. For those of you with a fastback with deluxe interior (side panels carpeted), does the carpet wrap the back corners (where the hatch pushes up?) Any photos from the trunk with the hatch down would be greatly appreciated.

panelgrill.jpg

And, it is very hard to keep it bonded on with thick backing on it. Even with heat to reshape it, mine tries to peal off.
Tom

Ok, got the carpet on. Luckily, there was enough that I could wrap it completely around to the back where I glued it to a piece of tagboard onto the jute, and stapled it for reinforcement. Only someone who knows these cars will see the difference, but of course the speakers are a dead giveaway also. Overall, I think it looks pretty good.

panelcarpet2.jpg

panelcarpet3.jpg

So, I got the panels installed and the floor in. I have to cut a new rear panel since the old one has speaker holes. I've made one already. Getting there!

newrearcarpet.jpg

I always like to see "after" pictures when someone has followed thru on suggestions. That way we all learn and are encouraged to do more on our own cars.

I know this is an old thread, but are those rear cargo panels available new? I need a set for my 68 fastback. Mine are all chewed up, previous owner hacked it out for speakers....

I know this is an old thread, but are those rear cargo panels available new? I need a set for my 68 fastback. Mine are all chewed up, previous owner hacked it out for speakers....
INTERIOR WHEELHOUSE COVERS
thats what their called. be very careful to keep up w/ the spring clips that holds the s. steel trim on that hides the screws. you ain`t likely to find anymore! ask me how I know! just got done redoing mine sort of, backseat delete-now fully carpeted business coupe. ' BECAUSE OF 6 POINT ROLL BAR". rear shelf extends up to the front buckets(same height as the pan behind the seat. then runs at an angle to the rear floor carpet. had to lean it back so the rear window cranks would turn. looks pretty kick *** if I do say so myself. would post pics if I knew how. ( don`t loose those spring clips!)-----------------bob:blob:

Psssssst Bob ... I've needed some of those myself (for longer than I care to admit lol). Mr. G's has them -- they're like .89 apiece or something, but they have them. I've seen 'em in the catalog.

http://mrgusa.com/

Lots of cool stuff in there but the catalog is a bit overwhelming and tedious in my opinion. Happy hunting!!! :-D

Psssssst Bob ... I've needed some of those myself (for longer than I care to admit lol). Mr. G's has them -- they're like .89 apiece or something, but they have them. I've seen 'em in the catalog.

http://mrgusa.com/

Lots of cool stuff in there but the catalog is a bit overwhelming and tedious in my opinion. Happy hunting!!! :-D

Do they make these clips in 2 different lengths ? 1 short for vynal covered wheelhouse covers and 1 long for the carpet covered Deluxe ones ?
It is hard to imagine that these shorties I have will reach far enough though the carpet to stay put.....they are a real bear to install ! Looks like I need another 1/4 to 1/2 inch of reach...

Hmmmm, that's a really good question and I'm delighted you shared it ... because my Fastback had that strange heat shrunk vinyl crap rather than carpet too and I hadn't even thought of that. Please let me know if ya find out. :-D

Hmmmm, that's a really good question and I'm delighted you shared it ... because my Fastback had that strange heat shrunk vinyl crap rather than carpet too and I hadn't even thought of that. Please let me know if ya find out. :-D

Well ..that was not the response I was looking for....lol it was supossed to be

"Oh yeah...the ones for the carpet are longer and you can get them from |€~€<}* for .02 cents each plus FREE shipping " !!!

Lol....

Yeahhh, I'm sure it was. I've got a few of the old ones still, but not enough to reinstall both side trim pieces so I hadn't tried yet. Sadly, personal stuff for me always gets shoved wayyyyyy down to the bottom of my To Do List.

Yeahhh, I'm sure it was. I've got a few of the old ones still, but not enough to reinstall both side trim pieces so I hadn't tried yet. Sadly, personal stuff for me always gets shoved wayyyyyy down to the bottom of my To Do List.
I ended up at a place in tulsa, bought some close to what I wanted. turned them side ways to make them stay in(was wider than long on the head) worked great. find an upolstery supplier in ur town, they will have hords to pic from.-----------:coffee2:---b0b

I ended up at a place in tulsa, bought some close to what I wanted. turned them side ways to make them stay in(was wider than long on the head) worked great. find an upolstery supplier in ur town, they will have hords to pic from.-----------:coffee2:---b0b

Turned them sideways ?

Which holes do they go into ? Or are they slots ?

-
Back