Question about '48-49 dodge p/u

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
My neighbor has one setting in the treeline and is in better shape than what I thought it would be. It has a flat head 6 and of course when parked the air cleaner was removed so the motor could fill with dirt and rat droppings. The motor is mated to a standard trans. and just curious what other engine would drop in there? I know, not enough info, but I've only seen it breifly and plan on looking again.

Going to look at a '48 1-ton this afternoon and '53 half ton this weekend, both close by, said to run, very good shape, and under 1K...........I'll find out.

A friend of mine found a 46/47? 4x4 dump, sitting in the woods where he was hunting...talked to the farmer who said the truck had been sitting there since the 60's..the farmer told him if he could get it out he could have it....he started with a chainsaw to remove the trees growing up thru it, pumped the tires up and they actually held air, put a 12V battery in where the 6V should have gone dumped gas in the carb and it fired up..he drove it out of the woods.

The bigger dodge flathead 251" or the 230" flathead from a desoto/dodge car would probably drop right in and bolt up to the trans, anything else is going to need a different trans. You might get lucky if it turns over and non of the valves are stuck it will probably run.

The bigger dodge flathead 251" or the 230" flathead from a desoto/dodge car would probably drop right in and bolt up to the trans, anything else is going to need a different trans. You might get lucky if it turns over and non of the valves are stuck it will probably run.

Thanks.

I looked at the '48 on Thursday.........woof!, a basket case and didn't trust the owners story. Couldn't hook up with the '53 owner last night, told my wife I can reach him better on his home phone, called twice and both times busy signal, will try again this morning.

-
Back