Question about a dampener I found

-

FomocoReformed

Reaction score
Found this dampener on ebay for real cheap so I snagged it, was advertised as a 383/400/440 balancer but that's all I've got. It has a 7 1/4in diameter, was painted hemi orange and has #1604-2 stamped into it. Any info is helpful, has 3 points where it was drilled, around the outside and they are in a triangular pattern opposite each other.

042820121271.jpg

042820121270.jpg

042820121269.jpg

Looks just like the one I had on a 77 440 from a motor home that I gave away. That said there is no way in hell I'd use it on any of my motors. Based off both time (appears to be an original part) and the bottom of the balancer in picture #1 the rubber is about it go. Use either a new stock one or Spend a little more for an SFI rated part that doesn't have the rubber at all (less likely to break/come apart).

Rubber isn't as bad as it looks, I cleaned it up a bit it mostly had old chipping paint on it. I only plan to use it for a short period of time to break in the cam and move the car between my house and the paint shop (i live next to one lol)

It won't see more than maybe 3-4 hours of run time and I'm going to mark it and check after each shutdown to make sure it doesnt spin.

it's an internal balance unit , holes are for balancing. It would have been found on 69 -71 engines if the orange is the factory applied paint .

-
Back