Question about changing axles

-

69GT

Reaction score
I picked up a new pair of Moser large bolt pattern axles for my 70 Dart a while back and I am finally going to install them. The 8 3/4 rear end is the original I believe and it has a 489 center. The new axles have green bearings installed on them. Will I be able to slide them right in or is there a thrust spacer in there that I will have to remove? I know the older clutch type centers have the thrust spacer but wasn't sure about the 489.

Easy enough, pull both axles and look through. Can't see ? The spacer is there.

Will stand corrected if I am wrong, but don't the new green axle bearings have a snap ring for a stop? No need to go in and remove the spacer?

I believe you need to remove the block with green bearings. Not sure. I have A7s in my street car.

Now, if the axles were built to A body back spacing or B, C, E body that will effect your backing plates choice.

Also your drums will need thevbe redrilled

I have been driving 2 cars that I didn't remove anything from the center section, and no problems that I know of. They both have the new style green bearings. So, now I am confused.

No need to remove the button.

Just be sure your are not flexing the bearing retainer when you bolt the axles in.

Last edited:
If in doubt call Cass. He will tell u they will fit right in. If they are big bolt pattern then u will need to change your brake assemblies. Kim

I "think" the spacer is for use with the adjuster. Green bearings, since snap ring retained do not need it, and I believe in some cases won't allow the axles to fully seat. Again never run greens and spools in my race car rear end both 8.75 and Strange S60. A call to Cass certainly wouldn't hurt.

-
Back