Question about detonation??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
When I had my engine built, they told me when I get the car running not to drive it, but tow it back to the shop so they can make sure there is no detonation. They also want me to put it on the dyno. That is great and everything but... it's the added money involved.

Now, is that really necessary, or is that just to get me back to the shop so I spend more money?

I have put about 100mi on it already. It does seem to have a bit of a lifter tick... but nothing that I am aware of that would be considered detonation.
My 4.0 Jeep does that, so I know what it sounds like in that car. Or is that more of a hidden thing that you might not always notice??

Thanks much!

Too rich, too lean, timed wrong, too hot. All these conditions can shorten the life of an engine. It may save dollars later to spend the dimes today. my .02 Good luck either way.

Well? How many miles can you put on a car if there is detonation without damage occurring?

The only time you're gonna experience detonation is under at least a decent amount of load.....so taking it easy and driving the car around shouldn't hurt it at all, I would say....as long as the timing's right. That "tow it, don't drive it" thing sounds a bit extreme. But detonation can lead to some catastrophic failure of your new engine, so....getting it dialed in on a dyno isn't a bad thing. Just my .02.....

-
Back