Question about fit of 68 Dart Exhaust tips

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Well the /6 to 318 swap is almost done. I've even fired it up a couple times with no exhaust system past the h-pipe. Man it sounds mean with no mufflers !

Anyway, i'm fitting on the rest of the exhaust system and I'm just wondering how far the exhaust tips should extend beyond the rear bumper.

Right now with system put together its only sticking about 1 inch past the bottom edge of the rear bumper. Theres a pic attached of how it looks now.

Personally I think they should stick out a little more. How much did they stick out originally ?

DSCF0012.JPG

I dont know how far they stuck out from the factory but I dont like when people stick the tips out 2 or 3 inches past the bumper. I think about and inch looks best.

On my 68 Dart, the elbow mounts on the tips were pushed all the way into the hangers which left a reveal of about an inch beyond the bumper.

Well, my exhaust system install is done.
I couldn't use the stock type hangers for the tips. My tips are for a 71 and i'm putting them on a 68. The hanger on my tips is farther forward than on 68 tips. (or so i've been told.)
Anyway I went with a different type hanger. The tips extend about 1-1/2" past the bottom edge of the bumper, but they are also about 1" lower than they should be.
I'm not worried about correctness or anything. They are mounted nicely and I like the way they look. Heres a pic of how it came out.

tips.jpg

They look nice as is. :thumbup:

If they stick out too far, they can hurt people
walking behind the car. Ouch.

-
Back