Question About Layson's Restorations

-
the owner of said company told me if i can make a new repro part fit in less than 2 hours its a good part.

On the face of it that sounds like a pretty stupid statement/excuse but I guess it depends on the part and what you paid for it. I assume you had a resto part that did not fit as one might expect it to?

People usually only make statements like this when they are trying to avoid taking responsibility for something they probably should (and after they have your $$)

Just placed an order last wed with Rick from Laysons, parts were here in WY on Monday. No issues, great service, parts are perfect.

[email protected]

Not to give away my age but I remember way back when, and Laysons was about the only place to get any parts, OEM, repro, or otherwise. I have dealt with them several times in the past with no problems. Sometimes the price was higher than I thought it should have been but on the other hand I couldn't get it anywhere else....

You would shudder to learn what goes into making a part. If you start with none of the original stamping dies (I believe Chrysler always destroyed instead of stored their old dies), you have to copy an original part for a machinist to produce a pattern for stamping or for making a mold for casting parts. Try to locate a U.S. company that will stamp or cast small lots. Remember, you are going to make a part for a very few number of surviving cars instead of having production runs in the tens of thousands of vehicles. As I always say, the value of anything is what someone else is willing to pay for it.

-
Back