Question about SB heads

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I have a '64 Barracuda with a 273. The previous owner said he put commando heads from a '66 on it. I thought the bolt angle was different in '66, or is that just the angle of the holes for the intake bolts? What are the casting numbers for regular heads and commando heads? I'm thinking of having some porting done to them along with a bigger cam. It currently has an Offenhauser intake and 600 cfm carb (edelbrock), electronic ignition, and a slightly more aggressive than stock cam in it (don't have the specs here with me). I want to get the headwork done, and a bigger cam and headers. Any suggestions, info, etc?

as much as I dislike headers in A-bodies...
If you're still using the stock manifolds thats where you need to start. Might be all you need.
The heads have numbers on them at front intake runner if that helps. I think the intake to head bolt diameter changed from 5/16 to 3/8 . I know the angle changed at some point also but not sure if both changes happened at the same time.

273 Commando heads are the same as the 2 bbl. heads. The only difference I know of between the early (64 & 65) 273 heads & the later ones is the holes that hold the intake to the heads. The angle is different & I think the early heads used 5/16" bolts & the later ones used 3/8" bolts.

I can't check the numbers on my heads right now. I'm 7000 miles away from the car. I was wondering what type heads so I can start figuring porting prices based on the heads. Any suggestions on where to have it done (especially in San Diego area)?

-
Back