Question about sealer

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
I'll be putting down 2k sealer prior to base and was advised:
1. Don't sand sealer, just spray base shortly after it is applied for a
chemical bond.
2. Spray sealer and let cure over night, sand, tack, and paint next day.

OK, what's best? Neither?? Either??

Treat sealer as the first coat in you final paint. (Option # 1 above) So, spray sealer, wait the appropriate ammount of time as detailed by the sealer manufacturer, then spray you subsequent paint and clear. Most sealers can be top coated in 20 minutes to an hour, but always follow the data sheets put out by the manufacturer.
What product brands are you using from sealer to topcoat? Are you using an actual single purpose sealer, or a reduced epoxy primer?
Good luck, and don't forget the pictures!! :)

1. Don't sand sealer, just spray base shortly after it is applied for a
chemical bond. >>>>>>>>BEST! BEST!

Yes, do not sand sealer. It is an adhesion promoter, not primer. Though some primers can be used as a sealer if over reduced, following the tech sheets of course.

Treat sealer as the first coat in you final paint. (Option # 1 above) So, spray sealer, wait the appropriate ammount of time as detailed by the sealer manufacturer, then spray you subsequent paint and clear. Most sealers can be top coated in 20 minutes to an hour, but always follow the data sheets put out by the manufacturer.
What product brands are you using from sealer to topcoat? Are you using an actual single purpose sealer, or a reduced epoxy primer?
Good luck, and don't forget the pictures!! :)

I'm using Nason primer, sealer, base, clear. They are 2k and will be going down with a hvlp gun.

If you want to spray an epoxy sealer over your surfacer (paint isn't going down for awhile) you can, and then 600 wet sand the sealer prior to shooting, I've done this as funds don't always allow jumping straight to the paint booth and you need to seal the surfacer as it can absorb moisture/contaminants. I've heard said what's the diff - epoxy sealer over cured surfacer vs paint over cured sealer ? Don't know but I'd prefer a chemical bond over mechanical any day (eliminates some of the human error ). I've done both, so far no paint job blowing off at highway speed. Number one as said - stick with a system - Nason's decent, but coverage with their base can be ridiculous - that sublime over grey sealer on my car - gallon and a half(that's unreduced and does NOT include trunk/jambs!), maybe 5-6 passes - they just don't use alot of pigments, which is what you pay for. There's plenty of awesome Nason paint jobs out there tho.

I'm using Nason primer, sealer, base, clear. They are 2k and will be going down with a hvlp gun.

That will work for you, and with that system, as I said, spray your sealer as if it is the first coat of paint, let it flash, then carry on with your paint.
The reason I asked if you were using epoxy primer as a sealer has been covered quite nicely by rebeldart. :)

-
Back