Question about steering issue

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the steering on my '74 Duster. Its very loose/numb. It dosnt really have much play in it though. In 2007 the idler, pitman, ball joints were replaced as well as an alignment. Also tightened the top bolt on the steering box to remove some play. That helped a bit. The car has power steering and isnt low on fluid. Just when driving there is no feedback in the steering wheel. when turining the wheel dosnt return back like it should. Its very poor. I feel like the steering wheel is connected to a thread. But there isnt much play at all really just very numb. I have a 65 Chrysler 300 and it steers great compared to my Duster and is almost 10 years older.

The steering box used to leak fluid. But since the last year or so its dosnt leak anymore for whatever reason. Last time I put any fluid in I used lucas stop leak. That may be why it quit leaking. Would flushing the system help this issue? What about new tie rods? As far as I know they are original to the car. Could they be causing this? This could also be causing the issue I am having on the highway. When driving 65mph if I let go of the wheel its nice and straight. But I'll drive a couple miles and let go of the wheel again and it will pull to the right. Then after a couple minutes its straight. I almost feel like I need both hands on the wheel when doing highway speeds. Feel like I have to keep adjusting. Hard to explain but thats the best I can come up with. I'm just not happy with how the car steers. Just no feel what so ever. But dont have money or time to get a new box. Dosnt have to be like a new car just wish it would steer like my old Chrysler.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading. Sorry for the long post.

Power steering back then was numb and loose straight off the show room floor.

Sounds about normal to me.

But the not returning to center may be an alignment issue.

What size tire do you run and how level does tie car sit?

All chrsler power steering pumps provide too much psi to the box,and this greatlky increases the numb feel. You need to change the shim package in the pump. There was an article in a magazine not too long ago that took you through step by step. I'll see if I can find the article.

Power steering back then was numb and loose straight off the show room floor.

Sounds about normal to me.

But the not returning to center may be an alignment issue.

What size tire do you run and how level does tie car sit?

I am running 14" ralley wheels with cooper cobra tires. I beleive the fronts are 205/14 and 215's for the rear. May not be exact but around those numbers. Had them mounted/balanced a few years ago. I adjusted the torsion bars so the car sits a little lower than stock. But I dont think thats whats causing the issue as it seems to have worsen over the past year or so.

How bad is it to change the tie rods? I guess I would have to get it aligned afterwards?

Thanks

-
Back