Question about the 7 1/4 rear end.

-

Red's '72 Dart

Reaction score
Hello all! Merry Christmas!
I have a '72 Dart with the baby 7 1/4 rear end. My question is, can I change the spider gears without removing the carrier? Thanks for all the information I have learned on this forum so far!

Thanks Red '72

I want to replace my spider gear set also. So far I haven't had luck finding the correct gears. Chrysler had two versions of 7 1/4. A early version with a 9 bolt cover. Late is 10 bolt cover. Yours and mine are 9 bolt. The two set I ordered where incorrect.

I want to replace my spider gear set also. So far I haven't had luck finding the correct gears. Chrysler had two versions of 7 1/4. A early version with a 9 bolt cover. Late is 10 bolt cover. Yours and mine are 9 bolt. The two set I ordered where incorrect.

No one seems to want to answer this question. Were you able to find the correct ones? I'm looking at Motive Gear C7.25BI for my 63 GT. I have the 9 bolt cover as well. Thanks.

No one seems to want to answer this question. Were you able to find the correct ones? I'm looking at Motive Gear C7.25BI for my 63 GT. I have the 9 bolt cover as well. Thanks.
I have a 71/4 in a 65 Barracuda , would these work for you ?

I have a 71/4 in a 65 Barracuda , would these work for you ?

I'm not sure. I'm dropping the pan here in a few days to redo the RTV, and just wanted to find out what to look for and where to go if I see issues. It seems like the spider gear rebuild is something people do while they have the cover off. Thanks.

Why would you waste the time and effort to repair one of these in such major ways? It would probably be less work to find a 7 1/4 in good shape drum to drum that someone pulled in favor of an 8 3/4. I would take this situation as a gift - a great excuse to go to an 8 3/4... even an 8 1/4!

Why would you waste the time and effort to repair one of these in such major ways? It would probably be less work to find a 7 1/4 in good shape drum to drum that someone pulled in favor of an 8 3/4. I would take this situation as a gift - a great excuse to go to an 8 3/4... even an 8 1/4!

Good points. I don't consider making a new gasket or even changing the spider gears a major repair. Having said that, I have been researching going to a 8 1/4. This is just a slant 6 car. The 7 1/4 has moved the car for nearly 60 years just fine. I've added TTi 2.5 inch exhaust and front disc brakes already. The 8 1/4 would be the next step someone would need to take before adding any significant HP. The thing I've noticed is my rear diff only leaks when hot. I assume the oil gets thinner when hot and is seeping out. I haven't ruled out an 8 1/4, but for now I mainly just want to fix the leak and get a good look around at the gears when inside. If they look good I'll seal it up. If they don't I'll have to decide, rebuild or go to 8 1/4.

Would you guys have any hesitation going after this 8.25 to swap into a 63 Dart GT? I've researched enough to know I would need to shorten the drive shaft, get new U Bolts, and my small bolt pattern wheels would no longer fit. I'm more concerned with the gear ratios in a 94 Cherokee, and possibly the leaking and noisy axle seal. Thanks!

Jeep, Chrysler 8.25 rear axle assembly from a 1994 Cherokee - auto...

The ones I've put in Darts came out of Diplomats - if you can find an old police car they often came with cone type sure grips

The ones I've put in Darts came out of Diplomats - if you can find an old police car they often came with cone type sure grips

Thanks. Most that I've found seem to be coming out of Durangos or Dakotas with a 3.55 gear ratio.

Most of the Diplomats with sure grip came with 3.21 gears

-
Back