Question about tires for a 68 dart

-

68Abody

Reaction score
I have a 68 dart 4 door that needs new tires. Does anyone know what kind of tires this car came with from the factory, and where I might get these tires today? Thank for the help. =P~

Dodge 68.jpg

I believe it came with a D70-14 which I believe is a 195/70-14. Kind of a thin tire.

The upgrade back then was either a E70-14 (205/70-14) OR A
F70-14 (215/70-14),little more rubber on the road.

If you are looking for factory original replica tires,whether it be a red-line or two white stripe tire Coker tires has them in the D,E,F sizes.
I believe there website is www.cokertires.com

If you are looking for a 205/70 or 215/70 size most people like the BFG's,Goodyears,Kelley,Firestone etc,available antwhere.

Guess it depends if you are stating completely stock or not.

PS: Stay away from bias-ply tires. They handle like crap.
Go radial if you can.

Nice car by the way!

Good luck.

Most that I have seen had Goodyear Custom Power Cushion whitewalls. Don't know who the other OEM suppliers were in '68. Size would have been 6.95-14. Possibly had a belted tire. This size corresponds to either a D letter size or 175 metric. Most will say that it equates to a 195 in metric, which it does in terms of weight capacity. For cross section equivalence, it is 175.
OEM rims are 4.5" wide standard and the HDs are 5.5". The BFG web site has rim recommendations for tire sizes. I know for a fact that a 205/70 is too wide for the 4.5" wheel.
I agree with the recommendation to stay away from bias ply for a daily driver. I think a 195/75R-14 would be available in a whitewall and give good service on the narrower rim. (That's what I did with the 66 Dart.) If you must have bias ply tires, see the Coker tire web site. They have a bunch of the old Goodyear molds.

Thanks for the information Johnny Dart and 72 Demon, this gives me a great lead. Thanks again.:cheers:

Thanks for the information Johnny Dart and 72 Demon, this gives me a great lead. Thanks again.:cheers:

Nice A-body you`ve got there. They summed it up well and I would agree, steer clear of the bias-ply tires. They look good and authentic but they track the road grooves and make the car hard to drive.

-
Back