question about valve stem seals

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
im working on a 75 360 to put into my 71 duster
while I am prepping the motor im installing a new camshaft, intake and oilpan

I ordered a fell pro full gasket kit to make things easier and a comp cam camshaft kit aswell
both came with valve stem seals, the fel pro has positive intake seals and umbrella style exhaust seal

the comp cam kit came with 16 umbrella style seals that are nearly twice as tall as the taller positive intake seals

(couldn't find a decent part number on any of them)

which seal should I go with?

thanks

thanks, personal preference or is there a reasoning behind it?

(I did notice there was a little "advertisement" on the back of the fel-pro units that mentioned those very seals were the reason that whole kit might have been more expensive then competing kits)

They last forever, Viton material and positive oil control on the intakes. I used to rebuild a lot of engines and the old rubber seals would get hard and brittle, crack and fall off. You would have a "mountain" of burnt dried oil on the back face of the intake valve.

I would go with the Felpro set for the street and the positive seals if it's just race. Sometimes positive seals on the street don't let enough oil on the exhaust valve, valve stems this can lead to valve guide wear or a stuck valve depending on the valve to stem clearance. Race engine run for a very short time and you don't get as much heat in the heads and block but the street engine runs longer and idles for extended periods of time. Also there is no vacuum on the exhaust side but there is on the intake side so the positive seals help control burning oil by preventing vacuum from pulling oil into the cylinder and fouling a plug. Does this help at all good luck no matter which you use

thanks for the insight guys
obviously I think fel-pro is a good brand or I wouldn't have bought the whole kit to begin with but I wasn't sure if comp cams wouldn't have the home field advantage here

thanks for the insight guys
obviously I think fel-pro is a good brand or I wouldn't have bought the whole kit to begin with but I wasn't sure if comp cams wouldn't have the home field advantage here

You think more highly of Comp Cams than I do. Fel-Pro is it, where gaskets and sealing is concerned for me. Chrysler sold those Viton seals in their Mopar Performance division and were OEM in later small blocks.

-
Back