Question about weight

-

Hamhock

Official Guess Tester
Reaction score
Why is the 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger the lightest of all the Valiant-Dart-Swinger-Scamp species?
The second lightest being the 1969?
The difference is about 300 pounds between these two years and its lighter by 4-500 pounds over ( or under, so to speak ) than some other years.
This is, of course, for the same body and the same engine-trans combo.

Where did all the lard go?

Where did you get your info from? Just wondering.

70-72 should all be about the same weight. So should the 67-69's.

Only thing I can think of is the 70-72's had smaller bumpers but not much at all.

73 on up started stacking on the weight. 5 MPH bumpers and things like side impact bracing in the doors account for much of the weight.

70 Dart front bumper and brackets is around 28-30 pounds.

Latter on after the 5 MPH bumpers with the shock type bumper brackets they are 80+pounds.

I just don't think it could be 300-500 pounds difference. Mabby 100-200 at most.

Mabby it could be a high option car VS a no or low option car.

See... here is the thing.. I got this data from a published book on these sort of hair pulling details.
I know that 'expert book' are often wrong and I thought that the weight variance was real odd on just that ONE year.
SO, I thought I would come ask the experts.... the people that own and build these cars!

I am looking for the lack of weight that is nice for these cars!

Well I am no expert thats for sure. It does seem like when people put there cars weight up on here it can very a lot depending on options and even how much gas they had in the tank when they weighed it. I put my 340 4 speed Dart on the scale. 8 3/4 rear full tank of gas and a full size rally spare tire. No option car with no glass or aluminium prts and a full int was right at 3330 pounds. Not to bad realy. I have sence cut a little weight out of it and it is around 3250 right now.

-
Back