question bout 8 3/4 oil seals

-

steveh

Reaction score
need a sanity check pls. Which way do the oil seals go in on an 8 3/4...flat side out correct. Never done it before...car has green bearings w/o inner seal and one of the axles is leaking pretty good.

From what I can tell from past posts...this aint uncommon and there are no issues with running an inner seal with green bearings as a precautionary measure.

Flat side out for sure, that is the inner seal. With Green bearings, you don't need the outer seal I thought.

The rubber seal goes towards the outside. I usually use a hammer on a socket with an extension or a pipe that has the same outside diameter as the metal outside diameter of the seal. Make sure you get them beat all the way in. Make sure to lube the seals as well prior to installation. Before slipping the axles in, slide an empty toilet paper roll split down the side into the seal. Once you get the splines past the seal, you can then remove the roll. Make sure to lube the axle bearings as well; they make a needle that slides into a grease gun for making it easy.

Is the o-ring on the green brg. still good?

yeah...got to looking at it closer and flat side out is the proper way. New axles with bearings from dr. diff less than 500miles, but I'll check on o ring just in case before I slip them back in.

I've seen alot of guys say use paper to slip the splines past the seal...are they really that prone to tearing...never done this before so just curious to learn.

thx

as for the drums and shoes....both are brand new but got a good dose of gear oil...read somewhere on here (trying to find it again) that it is ok to wipe both down good with mineral spirits and they are good to go...thoughts on this too pls

thx

When installing the seal put some grease on the spring side to assure the spring around the rubber doesn't pop off when setting the seals. When you install the axles the splines can nick the rubber, put some newspaper around the splines and gently work it through the seal, reach in from the center and pull the paper out. Yes you can clean the drums and shoes with mineral spirits.

thanks bruce as always...

by the way, I've had absolutely no issues since I replaced the pick up coil in the dart. Hasn't died on me yet...still haven't taken any long trips though.

appreciate the assist

Steve

-
Back