Question-early B-body rear end

-

justthatguy

Josh(69 Valiant)
Reaction score
So I have a 63 Belvedere sitting in a field that I can pull parts from. It originally had a 225, but it has a 318 poly in it now. If the rear end was changed to a V8 rear end, could I use it on my Valiant or should I look for a newer 8 1/4?

You can use that rear to gain its large bolt pattern regardless what gear ratio is in it.
The spring perches are about a 1/2 inch per side wider spaced than your a body unit but most will just pull the springs out to bolt up. Because the springs roll inward and wear the eye bushings and hangers that direction naturally, pulling the springs outward a little with new bushings could be a good thing. You'll gain a little backspace too if wider wheels are of interest.

It will work in a duster for sure but you might have some clearance issues on a little valiant. The rear might be to wide! Hope this helps!!

Provided the dirt daubers decide to be cooperative then I'll get some measurements. Thanks for the help.

Probably a splined axle unit. As long as you don't throw any serious power at it, you should be OK

Provided the dirt daubers decide to be cooperative then I'll get some measurements. Thanks for the help.

LOL The skinny solid black dirt daubers that twitch never sting me. I'm not sure why not, maybe they don't or can't sting anyone.
It's a good thing too 'cause those rascals are too fast for my swatter.
Good luck

There was a hornet nest damn near the length of the car under there once, the little wasps keep to themselves a lot. I plan on at most 325 hp, so it should probably be fine.

-
Back