Question for body guys here about paint..

-

Icetech

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So.. i'm repainting my engine bay, orderd 2k urethane single stage paint.. i assume for primer i want to use 2k primer? just curious if there is a brand or something in particular i should look for? And does most primer not need reducer? (haven't painted in 25 years... don't remember much..) thanks guys

P.S. should polyester be fine?

I single stage my under hood and engine bay, wet sanded and scuff pads, anywhere there was metal I primered it, the prep whip in a spray can you can get at lowes And taped of for paint, prep wipe it again then spay

20180903_140236.jpg

20180801_103524.jpg

I single stage my under hood and engine bay, wet sanded and scuff pads, anywhere there was metal I primered it, the prep whip in a spray can you can get at lowes And taped of for paint, prep wipe it again then spay

View attachment 1716107340

View attachment 1716107344
Ahh thanks! i forgot wipes.. ordering everything now.. new spray gun.. 2k primer, DA, sanding discs... stuffs adding up fast.. that bright red should look good hopefully :) gonna have like 600 into painting the damn engine bay (including the 2qt of paint i bought.. need to do fenders and lower quarters also.. )

If you don't reduce your primer, you may find yourself sanding out the course texture it will leave. No thinner, better fill for scratches and such. A little thinner and a few more coats. Read what your type of primer recommends. Usually, you can spray over just about any dry or cured primer with Urethane. Sounds like you're getting something decent.

If you don't reduce your primer, you may find yourself sanding out the course texture it will leave. No thinner, better fill for scratches and such. A little thinner and a few more coats. Read what your type of primer recommends. Usually, you can spray over just about any dry or cured primer with Urethane. Sounds like you're getting something decent.
Thanks, i ordered the UPOL 2k high built primer.. i think it will work out fine.. reading/learning a lot..

Must thin your primer, test shoot a old peice of clean metal or paper . Paper is my test area.

Must thin your primer, test shoot a old peice of clean metal or paper . Paper is my test area.
yeah.. figuring which thinner to get or if i can get away with laquer thinner.. this price tag is getting up there already :)

Also deciding on duraglas or bondo glass for some filler work i need to do.. also getting plastic thinner to spread it much easier.

I used my cleaning thiner i believe, duablabuild primer, but I must confess I will use a regular primer thiner when doing my body work

I used my cleaning thiner i believe, duablabuild primer, but I must confess I will use a regular primer thiner when doing my body work
Yeah.. i overthink stuff... i still need to get a lot of grime out of my engine bad then sand/prep... that grime doesn't wanna budge. all down by the frame.. tried like grez gone and a few things but it's not budging.. might just use a paint stripper wheel at this point

1687872260735.jpeg

I use Tamco 5310 2K High Build Urethane Primer and I like the kit that they sell at, The Spray Source.

Tamco DTM HP5300 Series Primer Kit

Doing paint and body work is like everything else has gone out of sight in price. In fact it's so expensive I try really hard to not keep track of the cost on purpose anymore.

I just don't want to know how much money I am pouring (no pun intended) into my projects. I buy cheap Purple spray guns from Harbor Freight and modify them from a 1.4mm nozzle to 2.0mm nozzle to spray high build primer. If you take one apart, toss the filter and clean it out really well it will also spray paint pretty well in unmodified form. After I run paint through them I just toss it in the trash. No point in wasting $20 a gallon Acetone on a $10 gun.

Tom

went and looked at reviews this gun gets great reviews and i figure i can keep it for future projects (i used to have all this **** then trashed it 20 years ago cause i would never do a car again ) grr. :) But i can do the primer and paint and all and it should hold up fine.
paint gun

I used a heavy scuff pad, gray I think, or red with a healthy mix of Dawn liquid to clean with, worked good

I used a heavy scuff pad, gray I think, or red with a healthy mix of Dawn liquid to clean with, worked good
didn't even think of dawn.. till try it.. after fighting rust so much i am trying to keep any water away from this damn car at this point :)

Yep, gravity gun is a must for me in the last 35 years
Yeah, i have never had one.. i used old devilbiss normal guns and thats bout it.. i am looking forward to trying LVLP gravity feed... kind of excited to see the bay in shiny bright red :)

didn't even think of dawn.. till try it.. after fighting rust so much i am trying to keep any water away from this damn car at this point :)
Oh hell, now worries, wash it down good, when its clean it will dry in no time, put a fan on it over night if you have to, I water the floor down every time I spray, keeps dust down .

i've been getting into body and paint lately. You can spend a lifetime sorting out out the products
and painting methods and advice that are out there nowadays. Go ask one of your local painters for
advice...but only one!

i've been getting into body and paint lately. You can spend a lifetime sorting out out the products
and painting methods and advice that are out there nowadays. Go ask one of your local painters for
advice...but only one!
Yeah..there are a few guys i watch on youtube that paint.. one yells at the camera which is annoying but has been doing it like 40 years and gives good advice

I am using only CRE epoxy start to finish for everything including my last high build coats...nothing else.
Then final paint.

-
Back