Question for Dougs header users

-

mopowers

Reaction score
For those of you with Dougs SB D453 headers, were you able to use the stock engine-transmission bellhousing braces?

Are they that important?

I can't answer just yet (will be installing some in a couple weeks) if they'll fit good with Doug's but I've always felt the braces are important because if you look at things the bellhousing isn't supported below the centerline. When I was a kid I swapped transmissions on my car and was to lazy to install the braces and not long after the bellhousing cracked. I don't know anything else to attribute it too.

BTW: with the Hooker headers I had on my car the drivers side brace was easy to get on but the pass side was a freaking nightmare. Had to grind 3/16"-1/4" off so it didn't rattle on one of the header tubes. By grinding so much away I'm surprised it really did a lot for support.

I was just thinking, I have my engine on the engine stand. I think I might be able to bolt up my Doug's and see if the braces will clear. Got a busy day tomorrow but I'll see if I can fit it in and if so I'll post back the results

Mine left room for them, but I didn't install them. Ymmv.

There are a couple different designs of braces and depending on what design you have makes a difference. The ones that were previously on my car when I had hooker headers on it won't even come close to clearing but I found a different set that will with some grinding on them.

I was just thinking, I have my engine on the engine stand. I think I might be able to bolt up my Doug's and see if the braces will clear. Got a busy day tomorrow but I'll see if I can fit it in and if so I'll post back the results

That'd be awesome! Thanks man.

-
Back