Question for the A-Body guys

-
Reaction score
Greetings from another Mopar Guy. I'm looking at possibly purchasing an A-Body Mopar...either a Dart, Demon, or Duster, early 70's.

Right now I'm looking at a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport.

The ad claims the car comes with the "original 360".

I was under the impression that Dodge didn't start putting 360's into the Darts until 1974, when it replaced the 340's. That's exactly what they did with the Challengers. My 1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye has the factory 360, and that is the original engine and the first year Dodge put the 360 in the Challengers, replacing the 340.

I'm wondering if maybe this was an original 318 car, that was yanked for a 360, but I don't know...and I certainly could be off on what year the 360's started replacing the 340's in the Darts/Demon and Dusters...that's why I thought I'd hit up the A-body experts. I know a LOT more about E bodies than the A-bodies, so I was hoping the experts might be able to help me.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Friend of mine back in the day, 1976. He had a 73 Dart Sport that had the Factory 340 in it, just the way it came from the factory.

You are correct the dart sport didn't get the 360 until 1974. I'd double check maybe its the original 340 instead of a 360.

You're correct.....340's were done in 73. If it's a 318 car, the engine code in the VIN will be a "G", just like a Challenger. Same if it's a 360 car.....memory is fading, but isn't the code for a 360 an L?

You are correct the dart sport didn't get the 360 until 1974. I'd double check maybe its the original 340 instead of a 360.

Yeah, I considered that, it was just a bit hard for me to believe somone wouldn't know they have a factory 340, when it's a very desirable small block to have in a Mopar.

I thought it was more likely that it was a 318 originally that was pulled for the 360, or maybe even an original 340 that was pulled at some point for whatever reason, and then eventually replaced with a 360.

In any event, if I actually look at the car I'll certainly be all over that engine trying to identify it.

Thanks!

You're correct.....340's were done in 73. If it's a 318 car, the engine code in the VIN will be a "G", just like a Challenger. Same if it's a 360 car.....memory is fading, but isn't the code for a 360 an L?

Yes, the 360 is an L code. Thanks for the information on the 318 code, I asked the owner for a pic of the fender tag and VIN.

1973 was the last year of the 340. It was a low compression engine, and the crank was cast instead of forged. The side of the block on the driver's side will have the engine size cast into the block, if you can get access to it.

1973 was the last year of the 340. It was a low compression engine, and the crank was cast instead of forged. The side of the block on the driver's side will have the engine size cast into the block, if you can get access to it.

Yep, that's what I thought. I'm not accusing the owner of anything nefarious, it might be he just doesn't know what he has, although I don't understand how, as he is claiming the engine was rebuilt.

Thanks guys, I will more than likely be a regular visitor here, as I begin my quest for an A-Body. I've always loved the look of them.

Yep vin number always tells the tale. Left front of the block where machined will have engine size stamped into it. A buddy of mine bought a 74 duster. Vin says 318 car, prev owner didnt know what it was. Block left front stamped in it said 360. I told him, you got a bonus.

-
Back