Question...kinda scared to ask...

-
Reaction score
Hey guys, pretty new to the whole muscle car scene. Came from imports, held a 400hp honda civic and a 600hp supra for a long time, totally destroyed the supra beyond beleive and I was so shook up I couldn't drive anything over 60 for awhile. So I sold the supra motor and then traded my civic for a 1972 plymouth scamp 318/auto 40,000 original miles + some cash and extra chevy parts.

Well the trans and rear end gave out, and now I have the urge to build a faster weekend fun car again but not as fast as my others. So I was thinking a small block 360 or so, but I was just laid off, military is only income plus brand new dad as of Nov. so wife isn't working so money is a issue for motors. But, I have a sorta solution.

This may be blasphemy but I cam going to still ask, I have a few parts that a guy will trade me for, he will give me a 505hp chevy 383 motor + a auto trans for my parts I have + 1,500 bucks. So, how wrong would I be to want that trade and put that into my scamp. Also, how hard would that conversion be to complete?

I know a custom driveshaft of sorts, and also a few minor works to engine bay and custom headers. But how much more work? And yes I know, I will get hell for even thinking this, but gotta ask.

And sorry for the long long post, I am really long winded in real life also.

Thanks for any help and critiscim is welcome also.

Meh... I knew a guy around here that put a 350 in his duster.... Blasphemy!

:D

I guess you could to it.... Probably wouldn't be easy, but you could do it. Why not sell that stroker and buy a mopar? It'd be MUCH easier to do.... and you'd probably make out like a bandit, considering he'd give you the tranny, engine and cash.. you could rebuild your tranny that you already have. is the one you have a 904 or 727? I assume 904...Hell, you could even build up the 318 you already have.....

You have to fix your axle anyway, right? So don't include that in your equation into switching to a chevy engine..

Why did the tranny and axle go out on you?

Just don't want you to open up an unnecessary can of worms :wave:

Hell I put a slant six in a 48 chevy. If you have a welder, sawzall and a grinder you can put anything in anything or you could trade the guy for the motorthen trade or sell that for a beefed up mopar smallblock and drop it right in. You could even used the stock 318 motor mounts on a 360 all you will need is 3 washers.

dont do it man....look for a mopar engine combo....putting a rearend from another brand is one thing, but a motor is just sacrilige...mine as well put one of those import motors in there ala fast and furious if your gonna do something like that...id personally build the 318 or sell it and the tranny you have (you can even try selling it on here) and find yourself a small block and auto tranny...they arent that hard to find if you look in the right spots (scrapyard, on here, craiglist, etc.)...in the end i think you'll be much happier if you keep er mopar- besides, we all know mopar small blocks are better than chevy ones =) good luck

You could put the Chevy in... OR, you could sell it and build a nice Mopar small-block that would last longer and make more power, while costing about the same (or probably less) than the work to put a Chevy engine in a Mopar.

Well, I was thinking of doing that, actually I saw the "cheap 349" build on another thread, and I was thinking of selling the chevy parts to another friend and building my 318 to that build if I could find somebody around my area to be able to do it.

Just not sure, what to do.

stay mopar with the build...you'll be glad you did...plus building a killer 318 will definatly be unique and something to be proud about too...build a 318 that will eat every 350 and 383 chevy....i like beating chevys lol

stay mopar. if you put the supra motor in it would be cool cuz it would be an upgrade of sorts. but the cheby motor would be about the same so stay mopar. for my 360 i just had built it was bored .30 over with new pistons and cam and all and the build was about 2300. i bet you could get more then that for the cheby motor. and a used tranny is cheap. i have one that i want to sell for $100 and havent had any takers. the mopar just makes more sense in my mind. plus we all know its cooler lol:)

its a 904 outta my 75 scamp. the car has either 13500 on it or 3500 lol. it seemed to be ok but my motor was acting up so i dont know for sure. i wil include the torque converter and cross member. it is in arvada colorado 80003. i never have shiped something like that but could check into it if you are serious.

the 727 is better stock but both can be built. if i was makeing a race car the 727 would be my pick. the 904 is what came is grandmas a body lol. but like i said they can be built pretty strong

Hmm, I might be interested, truly, I need to talk to a few guys in town and ask about trans rebuild. But I will most likely get back with you.

$100 + shipping alot better then $1,400 + Shipping from Jegs.com.

sweet. pm me if you decide either way. then i will get it sooner lol. how about some pics of ur car? lol we love pictures on here

-
Back