Question my wife asked

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Im a car guy, and so are you...so guess who gets called when someone needs help?
Right. We do.

So I get a call from a church brother, his daughter had bought a car and on the way home it died and the battery is dead...do I have a battery charger he can borrow?

I sure do, I say, but you know the battery isn't the problem, right?

He says yes, he knows

So my wife goes, how do you know it's not the battery?

So I explain if the car started, and was able to drive off, the battery had enough juice to start it. The fact that it died on the way home tells me the alternator isn't doing its job recharging the battery, the ignition system drained the battery and now the car died

She looks at me and goes, why don't they just put alternators on electric cars them?

And I'm like...

EnragedEllipticalBordercollie-size_restricted.gif

But not to the point where it would charge the battery quicker then driving the vehicle depletes it
Maybe if it was a really long hill. Lol. Ain't no free lunch. That was a good thought from your wife.

Im a car guy, and so are you...so guess who gets called when someone needs help?
Right. We do.

So I get a call from a church brother, his daughter had bought a car and on the way home it died and the battery is dead...do I have a battery charger he can borrow?

He says yes, he knows

So I explain if the car started, and was able to drive off, the battery had enough juice to start it. The fact that it died on the way home tells me the alternator isn't doing its job recharging the battery, the ignition system drained the battery and now the car died

She looks at me and goes, why don't they just put alternators on electric cars them?

And I'm like...

View attachment 1716093886
Look at a diesel electric locomotive. The dynamic braking puts electricity back into the system each time they are applied. So what your wife asked was actually very intelligent and I hope you told her so.

Look at a diesel electric locomotive. The dynamic braking puts electricity back into the system each time they are applied. So what your wife asked was actually very intelligent and I hope you told her so.
Yes sir, apart from when she married me, she's pretty sharp

True. That is called perpetual motion, and it is impossible. Friction takes care of that.
@Shenango, are you disagreeing that perpetual motion is not possible, or that friction is what ultimately makes it not possible. Yes, regenerative braking does work, and yes, when an electric car coasts downhill, the turning motion of the wheels does generate electricity to charge the batteries. However, I was agreeing with @diymirage when he said that an alternator placed on an electric car could not charge the batteries faster than the electric car's motor depleted them. That is true. And a car that could always keep its batteries charged would be displaying perpetual motion. That is not possible, and friction is the culprit. I took a lot of physics in college. I could dig out an old textbook if you like.

@Shenango, are you disagreeing that perpetual motion is not possible, or that friction is what ultimately makes it not possible. Yes, regenerative braking does work, and yes, when an electric car coasts downhill, the turning motion of the wheels does generate electricity to charge the batteries. However, I was agreeing with @diymirage when he said that an alternator placed on an electric car could not charge the batteries faster than the electric car's motor depleted them. That is true. And a car that could always keep its batteries charged would be displaying perpetual motion. That is not possible, and friction is the culprit. I took a lot of physics in college. I could dig out an old textbook if you like.
As of today you are right, perpetual motion is not possible the technology hasn’t been developed yet, one day maybe

As a kid, we wre so poor Dad turned off the engine in the 49 Chevy, put in the clutch and coasted down the small SW Ga hills. go figure??

I don't know her, but I find myself not being able to disagree.
When we were first dating I messed up pretty bad and I tried to explain to her she deserved better then me, and I tried to break up with her

She said I had allready hit my quota of stupid decisions and I didn't get to make that one , so now she's stuck with me

Right. We do.

He says yes, he knows

And I'm like...

View attachment 1716093886
:rofl:

As a kid, we wre so poor Dad turned off the engine in the 49 Chevy, put in the clutch and coasted down the small SW Ga hills. go figure??
I did that too as a teen trying to stretch out a tank of gas....but didn't turn off the engine. Figure why work the starter and use the battery too. An engine that's idling doesn't use very much gas but my car was an automatic so I couldn't just use the clutch to fire it back up. Besides, my car didn't always start back up right away once hot.

I don't recall agreeing or disagreeing with anything in this or any other thread. Although if you would think a little deeper into the subject the Earth has been orbiting the Sun and spinning on it's own axis for billions of years. It doesn't get any more perpetual than that.
By the way, I don't post because of people like you who think they have superior intelligence and feel compelled to educate or correct the rest of us.
Give it a rest and feel free to not comment on anything I may post in the future.

I don't recall agreeing or disagreeing with anything in this or any other thread. Although if you would think a little deeper into the subject the Earth has been orbiting the Sun and spinning on it's own axis for billions of years. It doesn't get any more perpetual than that.
By the way, I don't post because of people like you who think they have superior intelligence and feel compelled to educate or correct the rest of us.
Give it a rest and feel free to not comment on anything I may post in the future.
Wow. But in post #6 you gave him the 'big red X'......you might go back and check and see if you don't believe that. All he was doing as asking what it was that you disagreed with.

Bet you were reading the thread on a phone and you hit the "disagree" button as you scrolled. Not the first time I have heard of it happening. There was even a thread recently asking if the button could be moved or some kind of a check put in place to make sure accidentally picking it didn't happen.

Bet you were reading the thread on a phone and you hit the "disagree" button as you scrolled. Not the first time I have heard of it happening. There was even a thread recently asking if the button could be moved or some kind of a check put in place to make sure accidentally picking it didn't happen.
Fat finger syndrome..... :D I try to pay attention to any post I make to make sure I didn't have that problem.....and have had it a time or two. Also try and not surf with my phone. All the years that people wanted big screen TV's etc and now we're watching a mini screen lol. Using my phone to watch vids etc drives me nuts! Well, was half way there before the advent of jail phones.

You are correct and I have removed my "big red x". The icons at the bottom of the posts are an easy way to express an opinion. The only icon that gets an additional response is the BRX. Maybe it should be removed or at least be changed to a little pink x. Maybe people wouldn't be so threatened if were different.

Getting back to wives I remember the words my new wife said when I placed the ring on her finger 50 years ago. You have done it now mate! Those words still send chills down my spine.
Butt she turned out good.I wishnshe was alive comforting me now!

Yrorcm FC
Getting back to wives I remember the words my new wife said when I placed the ring on her finger 50 years ago. You have done it now mate! Those words still send chills down my spine.
Butt she turned out good.I wishnshe was alive comforting me now!
That’s close to one of my favourite lines to use on the new husband at the reception. It goes “life as you know it is over”. Never said it would be good or bad just different but the looks you get are really funny.

Yrorcm FC

That’s close to one of my favourite lines to use on the new husband at the reception. It goes “life as you know it is over”. Never said it would be good or bad just different but the looks you get are really funny.
I tell young husbands "remember, you didn't get a wife today, you get to be a husband"

Then I tell young brides "don't expect to fix in 6 months the things his mom couldn't fix in him for 20 years"

-
Back