Question of window tint

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Wanting to tint the windows on the Dart as with the elevation and sun we get the wife is concerned about skin cancer and also wants to cut some of the heat out.

I've applied tint before so all, but the back window should be easy.

The question is...where can you buy good quality BRONZE window tint. Used to be that you could buy it anywhere. Now seems like Kragen/Checker, Pep, AutoZone all stock black, grey, charcoal, smoke with limo this and limo that everywhere. None have any bronze.

Anyone? I could take the car to a tint place to have the work done (not priced it yet, but the assumption is $150 to $250 range around here if you can find a shop still open that has not moved 50 times and changed name each time.

Anyway, that kind of money is definitely not in the budget. About $20 - $30 is much more budget friendly.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

You've probably considered this, but it bears repeating. Make sure the opacity rating of the film does not exceed state limits. I hate making the police nervous because they can't see into the car.

I haven't seen much in the way of automotive bronze. Try http://www.snaptint.com and look for SunTek solar films. These are mainly targeted at the home improvement bunch, but will work fine in a car if properly applied.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, had already thought of the light transmission. Our taste is for what we used to call the legal tint all around. Used to be rated at 35 percent light transmission. Not into extremely dark cars. Just something to cut the UV and give a bit of glare cut and heat reductions. Just always liked the bronze as it made everything outside seem crisper and brighter rather than dull washed out like some of the charcoal and smoke types I've seen. Certainly do not want ANYTHING like these limo tints that are everywhere.

Cheers

Thanks. I may end up trying to get some from Home Depot if it will work for a car. Contact so far with the other two sites they don't seem interested in selling small bulk rolls. Just precut tint packages (some through distributors) for cars from about 1980 up.

Looked at Gila even. They used to sell bronze in the tint rolls at the parts stores. Now no bronze, but they do have the standard smoke/black/limo stuff and also a selection of bright colours. Don't want any of that. Just a nice light bronze tint to take the edge off the sun and cut the UV. Amazing how difficult this is when I thought it would be so easy to just pop into the parts store and buy some.

Getting to be like getting a new muffler and pipe on the car. Work from about 3 AM to 4 PM every day during the week and live about 30 to 45 minutes away from where all the shops seem to be located. Almost every shop that can bend pipe and put it on is open only 8 to 5 M-F no appointments made, drop the car off and we will call you when we get it done type thing. One place I called, sounded okay, flexible hours to an extent, got to the part of I'd have to wait for it to be finished no matter how long it took them and he flat told me he could not help me and I'd need to take it somewhere else! What is happening to the world? Okay, off topic rant over.

Thanks for all the posts. Email just bounced to the sales department of the first place. Looks like the second only wants to sell precut kits with none available for that early a car. Guess I'll see what is at Home Depot tonight as I've got to go there anyway and get a repair splice for the drip system on the front yard that decided to spring a huge leak.

Anyone use Depot tint? Okay for car?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

-
Back